1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my pc is slowly dying

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VendredoNZ, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VendredoNZ

VendredoNZ Thread Starter

My computer is about 4 years old, I dont have the exact specs off hand but it is a gigabyte board.. K8N pro Sli .... AMD64 processor, 4 GBs dual channel RAM... Nvidia Geforce graphics tho not sure the exact card... it was running XP professional off a Hitachi Deskstar SATA drive, which also had Ubuntu installed on a partition.
    ANd yes I did put it together myself and have had 4 years of trouble free computing.

The first sign of problems was that it would freeze under both XP and Ubuntu and require a cold start. Often after a cold start it would not detect the SATA drive. I could boot from an Ubuntu DVD, and I could boot from an IDE drive. Often the next day, it would once again boot from the SATA.
    The freeze ups became more frequent until there was no point in attempting to boot from the SATA drive at all. THinking the problem was the hard drive, I got a new one (SATA) but the problem continues.
    More recently I have been relying on the Ubuntu DVD to get online at all... but yesterday, it will no longer boot from that. I have managed to get it to boot from Ubuntu on a USB stick drive but even that took several attempts today and took an hour to load.

I have run virus scans (I use TRend Micro and used their Housecall full scan) and it comes up clean every time.

I have reset the CMOS but the problems continue

Once running Ubuntu from the USB drive the system runs fine, no freezing...

I think I can rule out my hard drive and my OS as the problem.... anyone got any ideas what else it could be? ANd how can I test that?

2. Hughv

Hughv

Test the Power Supply.

3. VendredoNZ

VendredoNZ Thread Starter

A new power supply made no difference.... guess it really is dead huh? I'm looking to replace the Motherboard next.. cant think what else it could be. Think I will steer away from Gigabyte this time and maybe go for Foxconn? (socket 939)

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Gigabyte is a much better manufacturer than Foxconn any day. But then finding a NEW socket 939 board is going to be hard, and buying a used Motherrboard would be a gamble. It actually sounds to me as though the Hdd in question may actually be going bad.

5. jazz3000

jazz3000

With your SATA Drive and the XP did you install the SATA Drivers necessary previous to installing XP. XP doesn't have the Drivers for SATA.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/950731

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice