1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved My PC on my wired home ntwrk gets 100mbps slower than others

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bsacco, Jun 9, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

Just had XFinity/Comcast out to my house for a service call. They discovered that my PC was 100mbps slower than all the other PCs on my home wired network. They said it was probably my network card which is a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller LAN Driver .

My home network consists of the following yet my personal PC get 100mbps less than all other PCs on the network.

Incoming cable = XFinity/Comcast 250 mbps service

Modem = Arris surfboard SB6190 (32 Download and 8 Upload Bonded Channels capable of up to 1.4 Gbps download and 262 upload speeds. Recommended for Internet Plans 250 Mbps and above) 32x8 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
    Router = ASUS RT-AC66R dual band 3x3 Gigabit Router

Switch + Netgear GS108

CONFIGURATION = incoming XFinity/Comcast 250 mbps signal> ARRIS SB6190>NetGear Gigabyte Ethernet output jack>Dell 8700 -

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 32717 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7570, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 223 GB (34 GB Free); D: 931 GB (294 GB Free); E: 1862 GB (288 GB Free); L: 3725 GB (785 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0KWVT8
    Antivirus: ESET Internet Security, Enabled and Updated

additional info:
    Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1
    (build 7601), 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
    256 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (4 total)
    Hyper-threaded (8 total)

Anyone have any ideas why MY PC is running so slow?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You didn't give us much to go on, so no ideas. But I do have an educated guess--the devices other than "MY PC" have gigabit ethernet adapters and are getting considerably more than 100 Mbps bandwidth. If this is true than "MY PC" with its 10/100 Mbps ethernet will seem slow even if it is getting near the maximum theoretical bandwidth.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a Dell XPS 8700 desktop PC.
    Is that correct?

It appears to have Realtek RTL8111E Gigabit Ethernet.

Do you have the current Windows 7 64-bit driver (version 7.118) for it installed?

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

Yes, I have a Realtek RTL8111E Gigabit Ethernet in my Dell XPS 8700.

The driver version is: 7.116.119.2018. I found the current driver you mentioned here and installed though I'm still getting the same speed of only 150mbps of the available 250 mbps.

According to my Belarc Advisor app here are the specs on my Realtek network card:

↑ Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.221 / 24
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.1
    Physical Address: B8:CA:3A:A0:A4:95
    Connection Speed: 1 Gbps

So, the card is rated at 1Gbps. SO, why am I only getting 150-160 mbps on my speedtest.net tests? I bewildering.

Please advise.
    -bob

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  6. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

Xfinity speed test site = 300mbps
    Speedtest.net = 150mbps

Go figure?
    I'm bewildered.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Different speed test sites will usually give you different results.
    That's why I prefer to use my ISP's own speed test site.
    It can also vary noticeably, depending on the time of day and amount of net traffic.

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

the above speeds I provided from both speed test vendors (Comcast & Speedtest.net) are extremely consistent no matter time of day/load. So, I'm not so confident there isn't an underlying problem?

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Does the slowness prevent you from doing anything? If so, and they said it was probably your network card, install a network card and see if the speed reflects what the other PCs are getting. If it is not a problem, then don't worry about the fact that it is slower.

I pay for a much slower service on Comcast, 30Mbps, and can do everything I need on that slow a service.

10. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

I have two teenagers who game plus a wife that streams and I work from home.... we are heavy users.

11. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

I only use speed test sites from anyone as only a very rough guideline of what the connection performance is. There are so many variables on the final number you get that you really can't depend on that number 100%. The location of the speed test server, network connectivity to that server, how far away are you and how many network hops do you have to go through, how many users are connecting to that server to do tests, and ISP fudging. The last one is that many ISPs set up a burst rate when they can see you're hitting a speed test site to give you an illusion your performance is off the charts. What you'll find is the ISP will only allow this burst rate for a short period which is usually long enough for the speed test to complete.

A true test is to go to a site on the Internet and do an actual file transfer to see what performance you get. You'll be limited to the network pipes and any network QoS policies are in place for that server. But the numbers will be more realistic and actual where you can compare the results with other computers on your home network.

12. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

thx. I suppose no need to replace network card for faster speeds...

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Bypass your router and see if you get the same results with 2 machines.

14. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

issue ends up being that I get two different speed test readings from two different vendors that differ in 100mbps. Speedtest.net = 150mbps and Comcast (my provider) = 250mbps. Go figure...

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not much of a mystery there. An ISP provider's speed test almost always shows their advertised bandwidth. Speedtest is usually pretty accurate.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice