1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My pc randomly will shut half of itself off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ArkhIce, Jul 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ArkhIce

ArkhIce Thread Starter

I built this pc about 2 months ago with some amazing parts with running it for several years in mind, The problem is that when I'm doing anything on the pc it will randomly shut off the buttons on top of the pc, the fans, graphics card, and I'm assuming the CPU, its still on because the motherboard lights up and the water cooler still works plus I have a blue light up top that tells me its still turned on, if I move the pc everything turns back on, I decided to open it up to check loose connectors and didn't find any and I found a loose screw at the bottom of my case stuck in the HDD bay (there is no HDDs or SDDs there I have an m.2 drive), I've tried and can't find the problem myself.
    Specs:
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 8 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 16
    RAM: 8138 Mb
    Graphics Card: Radeon RX 590 Series, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (319 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., B450 AORUS PRO WIFI-CF
    Power supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you install stand offs (miniture legs) underneath your motherboard so that it doesn't touch the case? Something is short circuiting - wires touching each other that shouldn't be, spilled CPU thermal paste (which is electricity conductive), that sort of thing.

3. ArkhIce

ArkhIce Thread Starter

I have standoffs, my thermal paste is how it should be, I'm not very good at cable management so my cables are too managed.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, looks like you have some decent parts. Start with basic troubleshooting;
    1 What are your temps and voltages; specifically cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Go to the support page for your board;
    https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver
    Download and install system information viewer. Note you must install app center first. Once you have SIV installed, use that to monitor and post the info
    2 Test your ram with memtest; https://www.memtest.org/
    Let memtest run for at least 1hr. If you have one error, that is too many

Are you using the packaged cooler that comes with the amd processor?

5. ArkhIce

ArkhIce Thread Starter

Sorry for taking a while to respond, My average CPU temp on standby was around 30 C, while playing Ark it hovered around 40.75 C
    Memtest didn't give me errors within the hour, it did a pass through a half.
    the voltage is in the picture and I'm using a Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler instead of the stock cooler. I attempted to organize my pc more so the cables hopefully wouldn't short out like the guy above said. Volt info.png

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You should really use the gigabyte monitoring software rather than a third party program. The gigabyte SIV will give you the most accurate info.
    Do two tests; one under a normal load and one while running prime95 or OCCT. Let the stress test run for at least 2min to stabilize both temps and voltages.

7. ArkhIce

ArkhIce Thread Starter

The top image is normal load while the bottem image is a stress test using OCCT after 2 mins and 30 secs.
    Normal Load.png Stress Test OCCT CPU.png

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice