1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my pc restarts on its own

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kitten, Nov 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kitten

kitten Thread Starter

i need help! pls help me!!! i just got a new pc. P4 1.5GHz 128mb sdram. whenever i'm gaming my pc restarts. it either does it on its own or the blue screen appears. "an exception OE has occurred at 0028:c002b27a in vxd ntkern(01) + 000b16a. this was called from 0028:c002f285 in vxd ntkern(01) + 0000f175."

i thought this only happens when i'm playing games but then it started happening elsewhere. like when im on the net. "an error has occurred, press enter blahblah.... File name: VMM(01) + 0000dc96 error: OE: 0028: c000ec96"

then it didnt stop there! when i was changing the sounds: "error:OE:0187:bff8e64b"

other blue screen plagues:
    explorer has caused a general protection fault in module [email protected]:000004d2.

kernel 32 caused a (same as above)

the system is dangerously low on resources. would you like to terminate the ff. application? msgsrv32.

msgsvr32 has caused an error in user .exe

What is wrong? I tried to change my ram but it still happens. its irritating when it just suddenly restarts! then u have to wait for it to complete the scandisk which is getting longer and longer. What could be the problem? pls help me... :(

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer. This will show any errors.
    I notice you have an AMD chip. These do run hot so you may have a heat problem. To see if this is the problem remove the side cover and place a small desk fan by the computer blowing into the case. If your problem goes away then you have a heat problem.
    If all of that fails try starting in safe mode and see if you still have the problem. There can be numerous causes of rebooting and error screens. Try these things and post back we can then narrow down the cause.

3. kitten

kitten Thread Starter

thanks for helping me right away, but there are things i just dont understand. I'm using windows Me. i went to the control panel but didnt find any administrative tools. you mentioned an AMD chip. i am not a techie. what do you mean by the AMD chip? what are you referring to? i'm confused because i didnt see anything about AMD in the specs given to me when i got the pc. how did you figure that i have an AMD chip? i dont think i have a heat problem but since pentium 4 is normally hot i opened the side panel anyway. the problem is still there. i really appreciate your help...:confused:

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

welcome to tsg
    I don't think 128MB's of RAM is enuff to do games.But...
    Have you done a virus scan? I suggest you try http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp if you have not........its free & it scans for virus, worms, & trojans.

Then I'd get Ad-aware & check for spyware which bogs your system down at http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Then lastly check by doing only once a Ctrl-Alt-Del.... see how many items are running in the background using up memory / resources

Hope this helps from Microsoft ....

http://search.support.microsoft.com...hts&CAT=Support&VRL=ENG&SA=GN&Go.x=32&Go.y=19

Savvy :)

PS......also have you cleaned out your cache?

POST BACK w/ results

One more thing... What do you mean by "I've tried to change my ram"
    How did you try to change it?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sorry I misread and thought you had an AMD chip, I see that you have a P4. I thought you had win2k because it was posted in that forum. As for Me I would go Start>Run>msconfig, click startup and post back with what is loading at startup. If this is a new system, can you return it for warranty? Reboots and windows faults can be hard to pin down it may take a while.

6. Dave9715

Dave9715

Upgrade your ram at least another 128 mb:p :D

7. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I agree with Dave

Savvy :)

8. subaruwrx

subaruwrx

Get rid of ME and install 2000. Works for me every time.
    --Adam

9. kitten

kitten Thread Starter

hi guys, sorry i couldnt post back right away. about the ram thing, what i meant was that i replaced it with another. i thought maybe it was defective. about whats loading at startup:
    windowblinds
    ctfmon.exe
    scan registry,
    task monitor
    pchealth
    system tray
    soundman
    NAVdefalert
    norton email protect
    load power profile
    norton auto protect
    mo search
    mdm7
    load power profile
    scheduling agent
    state mgr
    ms office startup

i reinstalled my directx. i found that there were errors. i thought it would solve my problems. the problem is still there. i also found out that my sound card does not support hardware buffering. is that a problem? what does it mean?
    i havent tried upgrading my ram yet. i cant get one at the moment. thanks again for your help. hope youre not tired of me yet!!!:(

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice