Solved My pc turns off immediately after pressing the power button

izhvnter

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right section but I believe I have a hardware problem

I've been using my pc yesterday and any other day just fine but today when I woke up i tried turning on the pc, I noticed that the keyboard lights up for a brief moment and the cpu cooler fan "trying" to spin but it moves just a little bit and stops.
I thought the power button is causing the issue so I tried replacing it's pin cable but still didn't fix it, I've checked for loose cables but neither.
I've also tried reseatting the ram just in case.
I think it's the psu that's causing this but I'm not sure, does anybody know what could be wrong with my pc? Do I have to replace my psu?

Update: the pc has actually started now, I was recording a video of what's happening to my friend and as I was trying to turn it on the pc yet again failed to start but after 2 more trials it started properly, I don't know if it's fixed now because I'm not going to attempt and turn it off.
Update 2: it looks like it's working now.

Last edited:

crjdriver

Cold boot problems are very often pw supply problems. What happens is when the system is OFF for an extended period, the capacitors in the pw supply lose charge. You hit the ON button and there is not enough pw to boot the system. Try it one or two more times and the capacitors now have enough charge to boot the system and it works.

izhvnter

Cold boot problems are very often pw supply problems. What happens is when the system is OFF for an extended period, the capacitors in the pw supply lose charge. You hit the ON button and there is not enough pw to boot the system. Try it one or two more times and the capacitors now have enough charge to boot the system and it works.
That's what happened actually when it finally turned on.

crjdriver

Stop using the system until you install a new pw supply. Continuing to use a failing pw supply can result in frying parts ie motherboard, ram, etc IF the pw supply fails completely.
Post ALL of your hardware specs and we can point you toward a suitable pw supply.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online