1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My pc turns on and off repeatedly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kheizenlam13, May 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kheizenlam13

Kheizenlam13 Thread Starter

can someone tell me how to fix my pc? When i turn it on, it just turns off by itself and doing it over and over again. I dont know how to fix it

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Kheizenlam13, and welcome to TSG.

Unless you are seeking help from a member with clairvoyant powers, you will need to give us details about your PC.

1) Is it a laptop, tablet, all-in-one, desktop tower, etc. computer?

2) What is the brand and exact model number of the PC if it is a standard product from a major manufacturer? If it is a custom build computer, please provide a full hardware parts list for it. Have any changes been done to the hardware just prior to the problem?

3) Has this computer been operating without any problems for some time before this current problem?

4)Is the computer totally shutting down or just resetting and rebooting?

5) About how long does the computer stay on before it shuts off?

plodr likes this.
  3. Kheizenlam13

1. It’s a desktop tower

2. I forgot the motherboard’s name
    Patriot viper 8gb ram (2x 4gb)
    Evga geforce gtx 980
    Corsair tx650 power supply

3.yes it used to work perfectly fine

4.the computer turns on then off as if it was shutting down and turning on again

5. Its stays on for like 3-5 seconds

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I would suspect a power supply or motherboard failure.

If the motherboard is a few years old, check it for any burst or bulging capacitors.

When testing, make sure the power supply is off before connecting or disconnecting any hardware.

A basic test for the power supply would be to disconnect all loads from it and see if you can turn it on and keep it on by shorting the supply's ATX connector PWR_ON pin (typically green) to a COM pin (typically black).

If the motherboard appears to be OK and the power supply stays on with PWR_ON connected to COM, the next test would be to just have the motherboard connected to the supply. Disconnect everything else from the motherboard, including any expansion and video cards.

5. Kheizenlam13

if the power supply stays on, does it mean the motherboard has issues? And is the PWR_ON the 24-pin cable? Sorry im new to this

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If the power supply stays on when you connect PWR_ON to COM, it only means it has not had a total internal failure. It may still have a problem where is senses a normal, safe loading of one or more outputs as an overload for some reason. You would need a power supply tester with dummy loads to fully test the power supply.

I have added a picture to this post that shows the PWR_ON (PS-ON #16) and COM (GROUND) pins on a standard 24 pin ATX connector. Any ground pin can be used for COM.

If the power supply passes the above quick test, the next step would be to power up with only the motherboard connected to the power supply as described in my earlier post. If that fails, the quickest test to isolate the problem to the motherboard or powers supply would be to test with a known good supply connected to the motherboard.

Attached Files:

7. Kheizenlam13

I did this and i think the psu is failing because when i start it, it shuts down... Does this mean i need a new psu?

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Just to be sure, the PWR_ON pin needs to stay connected to COM for the supply to stay on. If the power supply cycles on and off with a solid connection for the PWR_ON pin, a new PSU is probably in order or warranty repair or replacement.

Kheizenlam13 likes this.
  9. Kheizenlam13

I will replace the psu to see if it will work... thank you for you assistance. I appreciate it. I’ll post an update when i get the new psu

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome. Hope the new PSU resolves your problem.

11. Kheizenlam13

I just want to inform you that the new PSU worked and i have now issue turning on my pc... but, i am having trouble installing my graphics driver.. it always say “ driver is not compatible with this version of windows “

12. lynx1021

lynx1021

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice