1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My pc will only boot to the Acer logo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chefken, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chefken

chefken Thread Starter

I have an Acer Aspire asa85-uc521h desktop that only boots the Acer Logo. I turn it on and it makes one beep, the lights and fan come on and it stops at the Acer logo screen. I have tried del and f12 as per screen instructions to no avail. I have tried to start with a cd, removed and returned the cmos both with the same results. Can someone please help

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Hello and welcome to TSG!!

You get no messages on the screen at all? Can you see the hard drive in CMOS/BIOS? If you set the CMOS to boot to CD, does it attempt to? (Usually you need to press a key to boot from CD, and it's a pretty brief prompt.)

3. chefken

chefken Thread Starter

I can not get past the Acer logo. Iremoved the battery to see if the bios would reset (although it should be the same as when I got it). If I could get past the Acer logo I could probably chane the bios to boot from the cd.

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Do you have anything connected externally? USB devices? Can you remove the entire CD/DVD drive? Try to remove the hard drive (just to see if it gets beyond the splash screen).

5. chefken

chefken Thread Starter

I unplugged the card reader, dvd player and hd and I still get just one beep and the Acer logo. When I then removed the ram it screamed like a banshee. When I returned the ram it came up with one beep and the Acer logo.

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    What has happened to it since the last time it worked? Someone borrow it? Dropped it? Installed new hardware/software? Anything?

7. chefken

chefken Thread Starter

Nothing unusual happened to it. One day it was sitting on my desk where it had been sitting for quite some time and when I turned it on the only thing I got was The beep and Acer logo. The only thing that I may have had on it at one time, but it worked fine with it ( I am sure it worked after) was a turbo stick from bell. No drops or anything else, I am the only user.

8. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Just trying to figure out what may have changed. It sounds like something is failing in the POST. Can you hit <Esc> as soon as the Acer splash screen appears? Maybe the POST screen is beneath it? Clutching at straws ...

9. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Removing the battery resets the BIOS settings to default, which sometimes isn't a good thing. Look in the BIOS Setup and on the Standard CMOS Features menu check the settings for the floppy drive. It should be 1.44MB if the computer has a floppy drive, and should be NONE if the computer doesn't have a floppy drive.

10. chefken

chefken Thread Starter

Sorry I have not been back sooner, pesky work and all that. I was trying the press esc to see if if would go past the Acer logo and it would not. So I thought I would try some other key combinations and when I started the computer holding down the alt ctrl del buttons I noticed that the screen flickered and the fan seemed to labour. When I let go the fan returned to normal and the Acer logo was back. I swapped out a psu from another computer with the same results. I reinstalled the original psu and tried some new things. To make a long story shorter I finally got it to boot. What do I do now! I have changed the bios to boot from the cd but I am leary of turning it off in case I should run some diagnostic or reconfigure some thing first. Can someone please advise me.

11. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Can you elaborate on "tried some new things"? One of those new things may be what has allowed the PC to boot up.

12. chefken

chefken Thread Starter

Some of the "new thing" I tried was to swap the psu with one from another pc I have. It did not work so I switched them back. Then I held down the ctrl alt and tapped the del button a few times after pressing the start button. I heard the fan labour everytime it tried to get past the Acer logo. I had to restart a few time because when I paused it went to the logo. I finally just kept it up when I noticed that the flashing on the screen became less frequent and the fan seemed to quite down slightly. When the delays became longer I tried pressing other buttons. When I started to press the f8 key repeatedly the pc suddenly started to emit a repetitve beeb like when you press to many buttons and it's memory is full. I stopped when I noticed another screen flashing alternately between the logo flashes. I stopped and a boot sequence menu came up. I set boot to the cd, pressed save and it started normally. I do not know if moving the psu disloged some dust or if the fan was cranky or whatever it was. Now I do not know it I should run some kind of diagnostic before I try to restart it. I have triedrun msinfo32 and it comes with cant collect informationcannot access WMI software. Any suggetions? Any ideas what I did that made it work.

13. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    You may have inadvertently bumped a cable that was loose. It's hard to say.

You need to know if it will boot again. You can try booting back up on the HDD. You can also try to use a bootable CD. I like the UBCD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/index.html) since it has most drive manufacturer's diagnostics as well as several other diags, like memory and CPU.

14. chefken

chefken Thread Starter

I will try that> any idea why I get the can't collect information (windows management information software cannot be found) or why when I look up my computer it shows numerous drives that I do not have. I assume they are usb ports.

15. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Do you have several card readers on that PC? That wold explain the excess drive letters. As far as the WMI, I'm not sure.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice