1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Pc Won't Display On Monitor

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by smartdrv, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smartdrv

smartdrv Thread Starter

Hello, there is a pc with GFXCEL motherboard, i removed and formatted the harddisk after which i returned the harddisk back to the pc...it boots but won't display on the monitor...i have tried options but it still won't display...i put in an external VGA caed but it stikll does same...im a little lost and i need to use it soon...can anyone give me any options to look out for ??? thanks (the monitor is good)

2. PK-her0

PK-her0

are you getting pre windows screen up...the bios options post etc....or is it all dead?

3. smartdrv

smartdrv Thread Starter

hello,thanks for ur question...nothing is showing on the screen...u can hear the pc booting but no activity on the monitor screen....

4. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Check the graphics card on the motherboard. It might have a disconnected cable to connect to the power supply or bus on the motherboard.

5. PK-her0

PK-her0

Also make sure your RAM is seated properly! you can also try another power supply...

6. smartdrv

smartdrv Thread Starter

The graphics card has a 15 pin cable(7 up,8 down) attached to the motherboard which i have cleaned using a blower...i also detached it and attached another graphics cable into the external card slot on the motherboard which has no power supply connection on it cos it dosen't need it, also i have tried using a diffrent ram (sdram) ...but still no connection...txs for ur opinions pls give more tips i apprieciate all...txs a lot.

7. online_fixes

online_fixes

Do you have another monitor there you can try? You said you took the Hard drive out and formatted it. Not sure I understand why you did that?

Do you have any Flash or Pen Drives plugged into the PC? If so unplug them.

8. smartdrv

smartdrv Thread Starter

i have tried with another monitor but still same...i removed the harddisk and took it to work where i formatted it to win2k from previous win98,it just looked easier caring only hardisk the returning it to pc when back from work.

9. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

The method you described to upgrade your operating system actually won't work with windows. When windows is registered on a computer, it generates a hardware ID, locking it to the specific computer you installed it on. Transferring the harddrive to any other computer will leave you hanging at the Windows loading screen. I'm not familiar with what you would see in the Windows 2000 version of this situation but you will most definately have to reinstall Windows using the PC that you want it to run on.

If you see nothing at all when you boot up, there is another problem there. Try accessing the monitor's menu and use the auto adjust option.

On some older monitors, however, the monitor takes a while to warm up so you wouldn't see anything until windows loads. In your case, you might not see anything at all. If your monitor is of the more recent variety, you can ignore everything I just said.

If your monitor is connected and not receiving input, you should at least see the monitors "no input" screen. If the monitor is completely dead, it might be a problem with the power to the monitor.

As you said before, the monitor works fine in any other computer, which points to the graphics card or display settings in the BIOS. I have no idea how you would go about checking BIOS setings without a monitor. Resetting the BIOS to defaults at this point may just cause more problems, if it isn't the cause.

10. smartdrv

smartdrv Thread Starter

thanks a lot for your contributions, im thinking i should insert a bootable and see if it will rev it..also i think i wll reset cmos as well as jumpers...im not really sure if its d right thing to do but i guess its worth a try...:confused:

11. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Slightly dangerous. Remember how they are supposed to be set so you can set them back after.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!