1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My PC

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by aloe_luv, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aloe_luv

aloe_luv Thread Starter

Can anyone help me, My computer which has windows 98 started playing up this afternoon. It started switching itself on even and then running through the set up, then switching itself off again. I tryed to switch it on myself to see if it would work and it only powers itself for between 5-15 secs before turning off again. It did this around 7-10 times and now doesn't respond at all, i have tried leaving it unplugged for a few hours but it still isn't working. Any suggestions on what might be wrong with it - i have had it for a few years and never had a problem like this before ??, Thanks

2. mobo

mobo

Do you have a boot disk ? If so boot the pc with it and when you get to the a:> prompt type c: and click enter which should change the command prompt to c:> ....From here type scanreg /restore (note the space before the /)...Then you will be given a list of dates, be sure to choose a date that is before the troubles and click enter. remove the bootdisk and reboot the pc..

3. aloe_luv

aloe_luv Thread Starter

i don't have a boot disk- but i dont think this is the problem- it seem more like some sort of power failure, although i'm not sure what is the problem. I can't get the pc to start now

4. mobo

mobo

Have you tried opening the case at all ? It may be bad ram or video card if you have one. If you have more than one stick of ram then try one at a time and as for the video card if you have one try removing it if you have onboard(integrated) as well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165005

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice