1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"My Pictures" File Recovery Software? Any Ideas

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by pmc3944, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pmc3944

pmc3944 Thread Starter

Good morning all, I have checked some of the other forums and topics and I havent found one where anyone has stated 100% success with this. Here is the deal, somehow a user on my home system has deleted our "My Pictures" folder, its not in the recycle bin either. I am not exactly sure how long it has been gone, possible a few weeks. I am looking to recover the pictures that were in this folder. So far I have tried "Recuva" which seems to recover every single web page button that I have ever looked at but nothing in the area of my actual pictures. I have also tried "Zero Assumption Recovery" which claims to have found 982GB worth of pics, however I previewed a number of these and they all appear to be just web downloaded content and plus I dont have the hard drive space to recover all 982 gigs to sort through them all. SOO...has anyone had any luck in recovering pictures and if so is there any recommended software to use? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. There are number of family photos that have been lost. And for the record, yes I backup, however we are in the middle of unpacking from a move and my backups have yet to be discovered :confused: Thanks so much for any and all feedback. [email protected]

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

3. pmc3944

pmc3944 Thread Starter

Thank you! I will give it a shot!! Thanks again!

4. pmc3944

pmc3944 Thread Starter

OK, so good news and bad news, it seems to recover A LOT of pics...however they all seem to be thumbnail size. I know they were not thumbnail size before...any ideas?

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

Did it complete t he scan? Sounds like it recovered the thumbnails but not the original photo?

6. pmc3944

pmc3944 Thread Starter

Yep, it stated the recovery was complete, i took something like 4 hours.

7. moper

moper

Have you tried, 'Previous Versions'?

If you are running Ultimate or Enterprise, it will be in the right click menu. For Home Basic or Premium, you need Shadow Explorer.

Of course, it depends on how much space you had reserved for 'System Restore'. Two weeks and it may be overwritten.

moper

8. pmc3944

pmc3944 Thread Starter

I installed Shadow Explorer, it didnt appear to find anything...I hate to give up at this point...not sure what else to do. I just tried EASEUS and it pretty much did the same thing as PhotoRec....recovers a TON of files but they all seem to be thumbnail or smaller in size...I dont understand that! I really appreciate everyones help on this. I am not ready to give up just yet, but I feel as if I am running out of time. Any more ideas and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks again!!

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Unfortunately, that probably means that the full files were either corrupted or overwitten

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice