1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Pictures Folder Slow to Open

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by wakerider01, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wakerider01

wakerider01 Thread Starter

I have been saving all of my photos from my 4 month long trip to Hawaii into one folder in my My Pics... but all of a sudden, when I double click on it, it takes a good 20 seconds to open. Noe of my other folders have done this. What can be the cause? I have 416 picks and 800some megabytes. Nothing on my computer is slow or anything. Can I perform some type of task on the folder to fix this problem? Thanks

2. erick295

erick295

If you're viewing thumbnails, that can take awhile.

Look for Thumbs.db in that folder, delete it, and try it again. This is where Windows stores the thumbnails for images in that folder. The first time it will take awhile to load, but after that it should be back to normal.

If you don't see Thumbs.db, go to Tools, Folder Options, View, Advanced Settings, and select "Show hidden files and folders."

3. wakerider01

wakerider01 Thread Starter

if i delete the thumbnails file... does that mean that I won't see the thumbnails again? Or does it just reset the thumbnails? Thanks

4. MightyQueenC

MightyQueenC

I've been waiting patiently for the answer, and since I'm having the same issue, will deleting the Thumbs.db folder, mess up anything else? Do I just delete the contents of the folder or the folder, as well? Does this need to be done on a regular basis?

5. buck52

buck52 Banned

deleteing the Thumbs file in the My Pictures folder will not harm anything else.. Windows will regenerate it the next time you open the My Pictures folder... it will take some time as erick295 stated...

buck

6. MightyQueenC

MightyQueenC

Hi buck and Happy New Year :)

Thanks for the info (y) have a great day (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/506487