1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My pictures- insert to word problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by accordman1, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. accordman1

accordman1 Thread Starter

Have Windows XP, with Word 2003. Am writing a kids book, assembled pictured pages with text after text was printed out from Word, Then scanned all (59) into my pictures as jpeg files, as 8 1/2 x 11 size. Then I have for weeks now tried to insert them all into one big Word file, as the publisher wants, BUT every time I do this it shrinks the file to about 6 x 9 or so(plus they have a dirty, blueish tinge to them, but we'll live with that if we have to). Even tried to insert from scanner, but got error message.
    I played with page margins in Word, set them all to 0, but all that did was move the whole thing left and didn't increase the size at all. I know the scanner size is OK because I printed from there the correct size. Can't print from my pictures because it says "too large, too many bytes"
    Had already submitted a test file to publisher who mailed us back a proof that had a 6 x 7 3/4 size file on each page and they said that's what they received, but were no help to fix this.

Accordman1

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What is the orginal source of these pictures?
    What is the size of the orginal pictures?

Why not just insert the orginal pictures into Word?

3. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

You can import them, but the size (pixelation) of the jpegs would change as the program sees fit to fit them into the word document. I have had the same problem when I was designing my daughters protfolio through MS Office. There is a few things that need to be considered as far as needed information;

1. Size of the Jpeg - In a 8 1/2 x 11 it is 612 x 792 @ 72 pixels/inch setting,

If you want your image to print as 8 1/2 x 11 and your resolution is set to 300, then your image size would be 2550 x 3300 pixels.

At 100 ppi resolution the image would be 850 x 1100 pixels.

image pixel size divided by printer resolution = print size

2. The settings within Word Program. Sometimes the word program will adjust the pics to fit the screen and the sheet itself.

Something that you might want to check is get this program :

http://www.fotosizer.com/

Photo Sizer is a program that I use since all of my pics are set to the max with a 12.0 MP. The 12.0 will use a 3464 x 3464 in my system, but with photosizer, I can "cut" that size down and not have to lose any pics.

Not only that, but the program is free and can be used on any jpeg file,bmp, gif, png, tiff, and tga files.

4. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

I also forgot something, accordman1, Welcome to TSG! :)

5. accordman1

Sorry, I was not clear, this is confusing. We had preexisting artwork, clipart, and just regular pictures we pasted on text that we had printed off. All that was then scanned in. One of the other people suggested I use something called fotosizer, after he talked about how pixel sizes change in my pictures depending on various factors. Will try that and see what happens. Thanks

6. accordman1

Hi. thank for responding. Should say first that I did these all at 400, was told they should be at least 300. The image size for all, I believe, is 3400 x 4400. Downloaded Fotosizer, picked a couple of random pages, One resized at the same image size, the other at 850 x 1100, but NEITHER looked any different when I inserted into Word. How in the world do I enlarge them? You should know that this is text with drawings, clip art, pictures from links we printed out and then stuck on, along with professionally done art work. That's what I'm working with here. We have spent months just getting this far. Anyway, thanks for your help.

7. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

In the Word program you can resize the image by clicking on them and you should see a square box around the picture. From there you can click and drag the corners to the size that you need.

8. accordman1

Thanks for the suggestion, but when I tried to resize, all it did was move the page(file) to the right, and I also had proportion problems. I have since decieded to bypass Word altogether, put everything into TIFF files, which is what my scanner defaults to if you follow the Scanning instructions from Word, not the scanner company. Anyway, doing this I have been able to get the correct size, 8 1/2 x 11, AND the blueish tinge is gone. I cannot edit unless I put them all in my pictures(right now they're all on my flash drive), but I can print out from there, which JPEG never let me do-too large- and they look very close to the right size. Now I have to convert to PDF files, which, while I know I could by an online service, I will likely go to Fedex and do them there(all 60 pages) and then have them assemble them all into one big file, which is how the publisher wants them.
    Follow all that?
    I STILL don't know if this will work when I submit it all, but I have some hope now.

Accordman1

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice