1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Plextor PX-708A DVDR drive used to do 8x, but now is only 4x...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matt.choules, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matt.choules

matt.choules Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I have a plextor PX708-A drive that i have been using for about a year and a half without any problems, and now its decided to stop writing DVD's at 8x and start only doing them at 4x.

I have tried installing the latest firmware, and even tried some older firmwares, but the result is always the same.

The plextor site suggested changing some setting in the IDE ATA/APATI settings.... I tried that, to no avail.

Any more suggestions?

Matt.

p.s. i can give post hijackthis logs or Plextools reports if needed.

---------------------
    AMD Athlon XP 2500
    Asus A7N8x-D
    512mb pc3200 RAM
    2x Maxtor HDD's (40gb & 130gb)
    Windows XP Pro (SP1)
    Plextor PX708-A DVDR

2. vibe666

vibe666

does the drive make coasters if you burn any faster than that, or is it just not giving you the option to burn faster?

I've got the former problem on my Optowrite DVD Burner. it's a quad speed burner but will only burn disk at 2x and won't burn RW disks at all now without failing.

Also if I try to burn a CD faster than 16x it fails too.

very weird.

have assumed that when I re-install windows (which I do intend to do very soon anyway) it's going to go away, but other than that I'm stuck.

tried re-detecting the drive, and re-installing the software (nero 6.6.0.0) but it made no difference.

it had been working fine up to a point, and I can't think of anything I might have done to cause the problem (installing new software or hardware for instance).

Sorry, I've not been much help to you, but at least you know you're not alone!

3. matt.choules

My CD writer is working fine... burns at 40x.
    Sigh... Stupid thing!

4. vibe666

vibe666

are you talking about a seperate CD writer, or burning CD's with your DVD writer?

5. Deathblow

Deathblow

Have you switched media recently?

6. matt.choules

7. matt.choules

Do you think it would make a difference between + and - discs?
    Checking the discs on that site, It might be that i have bought a set of - instead + DVDR's...

Matt.

8. vibe666

vibe666

could be. some drives favour one type of disk better than the other. i.e. writing one at 8x but the other at 4x depending on if it was a + or a -. that said, i seem to remember -'s being the faster on most drives where there's a difference. could be wrong though.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice