1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Primary Drive Getting Full

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by donsor, Aug 11, 2017 at 2:01 PM.

Advertisement
  1. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

My primary drive (250G SSD) is getting full. It contains my OS which is Window 7 Ultimate and I have the disc. I would like to replace it with a larger drive, a 500G SSD perhaps. What's the best way of doing this.
    Thanks.

2. Sponsor

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Do the following in that computer so we have a better picture of its hardware and operating system.

Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
    After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
    Information about your computer will appear.
    Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If that 250 GB solid state hard drive is getting full, your computer must be loaded with personal data or apps or both.

There may also too much hard drive space allocated to System Restore(default value is 12%) and the Recycle Bin(default value is 10%).
    3 - 4% for each one is sufficient.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017 at 2:20 PM
  4. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

Did what you suggested with SysInfo.exe. I'll list what's on the drive other than the OS. I don't have game, or documentation or storage files in it. So perhaps if I clean it up a bit, it'll be OK.

5. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

Is this a laptop or a desktop?

6. flavallee

Where is the TSG System Information Utility log that was requested in post #2?

7. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

Gr3Iz: Desktop
    Flavallee: Did you mean what drive it is located in? Also I was able to save about 5G by deleting "Deleted Files".
    Question: There is an "AMD/Packages/Apps and Drivers" File in the Drive using up 5.56Gb of space. Can I
    delete this or move it to another drive?

8. flavallee

I provided you with very simple instructions in the first part of post #2.
    If you're not able to follow them and submit the log, ask someone who can to do it for you.

9. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

Sorry Flavallee: I got the information but did not save it. I'll do it again.

10. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

Flavallee: Please be patient with me. I did as instructed but when I click on copy and go to my thread the word "Paste" was not high lited. Guess I'll have to wait until someone comes up to show me how. Thanks anyway.

11. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

Have you got more than one drive in your desktop? You should be able to move some files off your SSD, if you do. Just don't attempt to move program files. These will need to be done differently, by uninstalling and re-installing on another drive. A 256GB SSD is more than adequate for your OS and it's necessary files, that's what I'm using. I install all my programs and applications to a separate drive, a regular HDD. I also moved my download folder to a different drive, etc.

12. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

Thanks Gr3Iz. There's this one file using 5.5G memory. The File name is AMD/Package and under Package has two sub files called Apps and Drivers. I got a secondary hard drive with lots of room. Can I move it?

13. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

Where is it located? Do you have an AMD processor or video card?

14. replay

replay

15. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

Gr3iz: I have a Gigabyte AMD Radeon R7 370 Video Card. My processor is a 3.5 GHz AMD FX 8320 Eight-Core. I periodically upgrade my Radeon Crimson Catalyst driver. I suppose it is located in the Primary Drive.

Replay: I'll keep that in mind.

16. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

That may be an older installation file for a driver update. How old is the folder? Anything recent?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194540