1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My printer hates me.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cybergum, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cybergum

cybergum Thread Starter

I had no problems with my printer (Canon BJC-1000) until my father decided it was time to rearrange. Now, suddenly, I'm getting every possible error message.

If I try a test page, I get the error that the printer is out of paper. (This is OUT of the status monitor. Every other time I've been out, the status monitor has loaded and told me. Also, the printer has plenty of paper.)

If I click the Print button on Internet Explorer, I get the error message that the printer is not responding.

And if I go to File, Print, the printer flat out "cannot be found."

I've reinstalled the printer, checked the device manager...nothing.

Help? :confused:

(BTW, Running Windows 98.)

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) parallel or usb?

if parallel....

a) Check the cable for bent pins. try a different known good cable if possible.

b) check your bios settings to make sure the parallel port is configured correctly. (epp, ecp, etc....whatever your owners manual calls for)

If USB....

a) boot the computer with the printer disc. After windows comes up, reconnect the usb cable. do you get the "found new hardware" message? If not then try a different usb port or check your bios to make sure that the ports are enabled.

might try downloading the drivers again from the manf website in case the install cd has a scratch which is causing a bad install of the drivers.

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

It sounds like there's a connection problem between the PC and the printer.

Did you try running the test page from Windows or directly on the printer? Most printers have a way of running a test page directly from the printer by holding a button down or something.

You sure it didn't get drop kicked in the rearrangement process you mentioned? ;)

4. cybergum

cybergum Thread Starter

I spent an hour last night trying to get the thing working.
    I turn on the computer today, click print. No problems whatsoever. Suddenly the printer is working fine.

It seems the simplest answer really is always the best...and in this case, that would be "If it won't compute, you must reboot." :)

5. Charster85

Charster85 Guest

Try deleting everything that has the printer on it off your computer and then use the device wizard and try to install it with him:cool:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice