1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My printer won't print. Please help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kittykatydid, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kittykatydid

kittykatydid Thread Starter

I have had my printer for about 2 1/2 years and it has been great until about 2 weeks ago. I can make copies but if I try to print from my computer it gets to 55% and then stops and it doesn't print. At the beginning of September it was printing fine, but for the past two weeks I can not get it to print anything. I have tried updating, uninstalling and reinstalling, and restarting the computer, even took it for a long truck ride home to consult with my mom and it still didn't help. Can please help me? I am a college student who has a lot of homework and papers to print and really need my printer to be working.

Thanks,
    Katie

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Katie, and welcome to TSG.

It might help if you told us the brand and model number of the printer and what operating system you are using.

Does the printer settings/preferences screen have an option for printing a test page? If so, does it print without problems?

Does the problem appear for all software applications that try to print or just some?

Do you get any kind of error or warning message at the 55% stop point?

3. kittykatydid

Sorry.

It is a Dell Photo All-In-One Printer 926.

Yes it does have the test page option, and yes it prints that without a problem.

The only thing I have tried to print is Microsoft Word because of essays and research papers that are due.

No error message appears, it just stops and will not go any further.

One of my professors here at school let me borrow his USB cord and it still stopped at 55%.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Does it stop at 55% no matter what MS-Word file you open and no matter the size of the MS-Word document?

5. kittykatydid

With smaller files it stops at 55%. With some larger ones that are a full page or more it stops at 10-15%.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Have you tried printing an older MS-Word document that has printed OK and has not been edited since then? That may let us know if the problem is in the document file itself.

Have you tried printing a couple of full pages using another program like Notepad or from your web browser. That may let us know if the problem is with MS-Word rather than the printer drivers used by all programs.

7. kittykatydid

Yes. It went to 55% and stopped it was just a page document.

It went all the way to 99% with the word pad document, but I just typed up a couple of lines. It never pulled the paper into the printer and never even woke it up.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    What version of Windows are your running?

If you have a "Run ..." option from the Windows Start button in the task bar, select it and type in services.msc in the Run dialog box and click the OK button. That should open the Services control panel. Scroll down to "Print Spooler". What is shown for the status and startup type?

9. kittykatydid

I am running Windows Vista.

Under status it says started.

Under start up type it says automatic.

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am not quite sure where to check next. There may have been some issues at one time with the printer having problems with Vista. I found one web site that discusses the problem but the URL may contain a word that may not get past this site's naughty word filter. Here is a tiny URL with a link to the actual site: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2ct4llg

The discussion was for a problem the printer had from day one and I am not sure if it would apply to a problem that appeared after 2-1/2 years of no problems.

11. kittykatydid

Thank you so much. I don't really know all that they were talking about and I don't think there are any users on mine. I don't know how to look either.

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
  13. kittykatydid

I have downloaded that a couple of times and it didn't work.

14. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Let's first find out if the problem is the printer or the computer. What you need to do is take that printer and connect it to another computer. Try printing the same document. If it also stops at 55%, the problem is the printer (most likely the memory).

If not, uninstall, reboot, and reinstall your printer drivers. Make sure you reinstall the print drivers BEFORE you plug in the printer.

Courtney

15. kittykatydid

I will do that this weekend hopefully when my classes slow down and i have another computer to hook it up to.
    Thank you for all the ideas.
    I will let you know if it works.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/955535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice