1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Iamnameless, Dec 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Iamnameless

Iamnameless Thread Starter

Ok I figgured that I'd post this here and see what y'all could come up with. I got Internet on cable and a router and hooked 3 systems up to it. 2 of em work fine (and connect together fine). However I seem to have a system that doesn't want to cooperate. It wont network with the other 2 (I had it at one point but it "broke") and the normal remove NIC driver and reinstall solution doesn't seem to work today. I've tried different cards and it doesn't help. I'm running Windows 98, and wondering if there is somesetting somewhere that I am missing. I've done this kidna stuff before so I know most of this stuff but ths one has me baffled. Help?

2. angel

angel

Can you provide with the current TCP/IP settings on each computer?

3. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything in the network? Netbeui, IPX/SPX, etc.?

Have you made sure the Workgroup has the same name as the other two computers?

Hope this helps.. :)

4. Iamnameless

Yes, I've tried removing everything and adding it again and the workgroups are the same, I cant even SEE them. Even if I was in a different workgroup, I could still "see" them using the Entire Network command in Network Neighbourhood.

TCP/IP settings are the same on all of the systems. The router has a DHCP onboard and assigns IP's. The settings on the computers are therefore set to automatic. This works fine on the other 2 systems so I didn't think that that was a problem. Tried specifing an IP in the router's range on assignable IP's and that didn't work either. I was thinking maybe there was a "hidden" setting somewhere I was missingon that problametic system.....oh and also interests of note, that same system cant even connect via dial-up anymore...the connection just isn't recognized, ie it connects via dialup, but cant "find" it....hope this helps

5. Rockn

Rockn

Have you checked your cabling to see if it is correct? Just because you have a straight thru cable doesn't mean it will work correctly if it isn't pinned to CAT5 specs!!

6. Iamnameless

Ok, I was playing with it again today and I have a bit more info...
    1) It is definately NOT the cable as I tried the laptop on that same wire and it worked fine...
    2) It behaves as if it was a network all to itself...can ping itself, see itself in Network Neighbourhood...etc...
    3) The other 2 are still working fine...
    I just cant figure this one out.

7. Iamnameless

Ok. for all you out there who really care, I solved my problem...I had a sneaky suspicion, so I changed the speed setting in the NIC-card properties from Autodetect network speed to 10-Base T - Twisted Pair and now it works fine...not sure what the matter was, but for some reason it didn't like 100Base-T...

8. Rockn

Rockn

Do you have a hub that is only 10BT?

9. Toddles18

Toddles18

How do you get to the settings to change the speed of your NIC, I've searched and haven't found them.

10. Iamnameless

No, the hub is 100BaseT as my computer is running at 100, uh, I changed it in Win98 by right-clicking Network Neighbourhood, Properties, clicked my NIC is the list of installed stuff there, under one of the tabs there was a list and the first item was something to do with bandwidth or speed, changed it there..sorry I cant be more specific...

11. Toddles18

Toddles18

Ahh, I see it now, I was at school earlier and that option wasn't on their computers, but I found it here at home, not that it does me any good, I only have a 10base T half duplex hub:( Thanks though

12. rgray

rgray

The Software Im trying to Use is giving me grief over the fact that it thinks I am hooked to a network. IM NOT.. The software was already installed and did not work 100% correct. In trying to reinstall my efforts are fruitless..Part of the aggravation is that the software thinks I am on A network...Now I have nothing. I used to have partially operating software. I have WinME, HPComp and the Software is an ala mode product??Anyone have any idea what im asking?

13. Toddles18

Toddles18

Hey rgray, try starting your question as a new thread in the forum, you'll get more help that way

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice