Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My processor has changed?

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  neozero 
#1 ·
Alright when I first got my PC both the BIOS and the My Computer Icon told me I had an Athlon 3000 XP+

And it performed great!

Since then the BIOS has told me I have an Athlon(tm) 1.3 Ghz

What has happened? Even if it reports just the clockspeed the 3000 XP is 2.16 ghz.

I am very confused. I've reinstalled windows from scratch, and reinstalled all the drivers for the motherboard. I've also had it serviced.

What could have caused this? The only thing I think of is that the guys servicing my machine stole my chip, which doesn't make sense because they don't even work with Athlons, and they're a creditable business. The only thing they were doing was changing the card any way.

Also how can I confirm the clock speed of my ram? The BIOS Says it only goes up to 200 mhz (I think), but I KNOW its 400 mhz.

#2 ·
They've just got your bios settings wrong.

An XP3000 running at 2.16 should have a FSB setting of 166 *
a multiplier of 13 = 2158.

If your machine is running at 1.3 gig then its logical to assume the FSB is running at 100 instead of 166.

100 * 13 = 1300.

Have a look in your manual. Should be easy enough to sort out.

#3 ·
two questions for that

1. Why is every source telling me that an athlon XP 300's bus speed is 333 mhz?

2. isn't this overclocking?

3. why is the Bios not reporting an XP 3000?

#7 ·
Be careful with the bios settings. Older nforce boards are touchy about the bios. I have only worked on a few for people. When I make changes in the bios, I go slowly. Let it record the changes; do not be in a hurry to exit the bios. Here is a link to an Asus forum. Read up on the nforce boards.
http://www.amdforums.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=8

#9 ·
Hmm thx but it turns out that the fuse was in the right place.

Okay so I tried to rais the FSB speed but windows didn't start.

The it showed the BIOS splash and did nothing.

Now, even with the defaults all set, nothing happens.

It just goes to the screen that says windows XP with a lil bar underneath it and then kaput.
What has happened to my machine?

currently I'm using a backup.

Should I flash the BIOS or something?

Neozero is very lost.

#10 ·
Originally posted by Nocomply:
the XP3000+ is a 333 FSB chip so 13*166 would be right.

heres a review of an XP3000+ in a an A7n8X

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030210/barton-12.html

-

Thats not to say you couldn't run an XP 3000+ at 200*10.5 but
the first batch of Nforce2 motherboards didn't like the FSB running at 400.
You are correct. I thought that the 3000+ was only 400fsb, however there are two listed on AMD's site. It lists a 333 and a 400 [with different mulipliers] He will need to make sure which one he has. AMD's site gives model numbers for each one.

#11 ·
okay so it looks like I overclacked my chip too much, and burned it out.

Guess we know if athlon3000 XP+'s cna handle 400mhz bus.

Any Ideas on where I can get a new chip?

#12 ·
Before you rush out and buy a new processor, find the correct jumper on the mother board and clear the CMOS. Make sure the computer is off and unplugged before doing so.

#14 ·
Before buying anything, find out which chip you have. Pull the hsf and check the part number. AMD's site has a reference for all model numbers [as to what they are and what bus speed it runs at] After you have found out which model chip you have, follow the advise above and clear cmos.

Have you tried the insert key trick with your board? Holding the insert key during bootup loads safe boot settings.

#15 ·
Are you saying there's a chance my chip might not be forsaken?

and what are theae abbreiviations(hsf, CMOS), I understand much techno jargon, but I am sometimes ignorant of anthing involving motherboards.

#16 ·
HSF heat sink fan

CMOS Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor

What I am saying is let's make sure what processor you have. That is why you pull the hsf [to check model number since this processor came as both a 333 and 400 fsb]Then we can try and set the bios [means the same as cmos] for the correct settings.

#17 ·
Be careful removing / installing the hsf. Check AMD's site they have a very good article [with pictures] on how to do this job.

Just me, however when I have to remove a hsf from an amd, I pull the mb. It is possible to do it without pulling the board, however I am always too chicken that I am going to crack the board.

#18 ·
Wait a second I'm wondering something.

The mother board I have has C.O.P> pretection.

How do I know that that has or has not prevented my chip from being fried?

#21 ·
Have you've cleared the CMOS? Open the side of the case and find a jumper labeled CLEAR CMOS - it should be located near the coin sized battery. Move the jumper so that it covers the exposed jumper and the one right next to it for a few minutes then move it back. You can also remove the battery to get the same effect. Then power up the PC and go into the BIOS and load the Defaults - don't raise the FSB yet. If it boots try raising the FSB to the next level and try again.

Do you know what CPU you have - ie the FSB of it yet?

Generally when the CPU fries the computer doesn't boot at all, but not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.