Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My processor

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Skullmaster 
#1 ·
I am in the process of speeding my computer up, adding RAM and the like, but I was wondering, seeing that I only have a 1.5ghz processor, is that going to hold me back? Will it make me have a slow PC no matter what I do to it?

#2 ·
If you're PC is slow with that CPU then RAM is a good cheap solution. Get at least 1GB if you're wallet and motherboard can support it. As for the CPU itself, it depends on 2 things.

1. What is the manufacturer of the CPU. Pentium and AMD CPU's have different clock speeds, so it unfair to compare them on that alone.

2. What you use you're PC for, if you just like to watch movies, play music, type letters etc.. then there is no reason that PC should be slow with enough RAM.
If you are wanting to play the newest Games then you're going to need at least 3GB Pentium or 2.5GB AMD. An upgrade like that though could mean A new motherboard so it would get expensive.
Let us know what motherboard you are using and we can find out what CPU it can take :up:

If you don't know how to check just download and Install Everest from my sig( it's free) and tell us what it says about you're motherboard.

#3 ·
Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 08/21/2001-i845-W627HF-6A69VM4GC-00
Motherboard Name MSI MS-6534 (Medion OEM)

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type SDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz
Effective Clock 133 MHz
Bandwidth 1067 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR
RAM Slots 2 DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 220 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset i845

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Micro-Star International
Product Information http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_list.php
BIOS Download http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_list.php

Right, it says that about my motherboard. I'm using a Pentium 4 processor and my PC is primarily a gaming machine, hence I can't play the newest ones.

(If that wasn't the info you needed tell me and I'll go back and try again)

#6 ·
Skullmaster said:
Right, so am I best to buy a new one or buy an entire new system? I'm guessing the former.
hate to be nosey but we would have to have the specifics of all your hardware to tell you whether to upgrade or buy a new system.
cpu
mobo
ram type and amount
case power supply brand and watts
hdd type rpm cache

to play the latest games you would need, bare min.
AMD xp3000+/1gig pc3200/6600gt-128/hdd ide 7200-2mb/350watt or better quality psu/decent case with good cooling
this system would give you good results for games out there now a better system would be
939-pin nforce chipset mobo/a64-3500+ or greater/gig pc3200 or more/6800gt-256 pcie/sata hdd/450watt or better psu/case with good cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.