1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MY PSU won't start!!!!! WTF i need files before tomorrow morning!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by karnewest, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karnewest

karnewest Thread Starter

Hmm ok this all started after I replaced my broken CPU with a similiar one. I started the computer after putting the new cpu/heatsink in but turned it off (back switch) when i realized that i didnt have the moniter plugged in. When I plugged the moniter in and turned the switch to on+ pressed power button, my computer wouldn't start. Neither my computer nor PSU will start. I tried replacing the cords/power outlet and nothing will work.

What could be wrong? MY mobo, PSU, new CPU?

I also tried unplugging everythign except for the 24 pin connector to see if the PSU would start up then but it didnt.

2. karnewest

karnewest Thread Starter

any suggestions? i really can't figure this out...

3. karnewest

karnewest Thread Starter

its still not working anyone got any ideas?

4. Cildaten

Cildaten

How sure are you that your cpu was broken?
    What kind of PSU do you own?
    Try to find another PSU, if you can, and test it on your Comp
    Also, did you apply the Heatsink, CPU, and thermal grease properly?

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

You need to start with another psu...what's your hardware here? Motherboard, cpu, psu, ram etc...if you had a typical psu, you could have blown it easily throwing the back switch as you did. If pulling the power cord out and plugging directly into wall outlet doesn't do it, that is probably what happened.

6. karnewest

karnewest Thread Starter

Bought a new PSU. It didnt work either. Um motherboard is a foxconn socket 939. CPU is AMD x2 4200. 1 gig of pc3200 memory. Original PSU was 600w cooler master. new PSU is 550W Rosewill. Comp still won't start up

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    When you turn the PC on is the CPU heatsink fan spinning ?

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Is the processor a socket 939?

9. karnewest

karnewest Thread Starter

thanks for your replies guys. It's a socket 939. Nothing functions, fans dont spin etc.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Hoe di9d you determine cpu was shot in the first place as it sounds as much like the board is "toast" and maybe that was the whole problem. It takes a lot to kill a cpu, and little at all to kill a board, especially a cheap board which Foxconn is sorry to say.

11. karnewest

karnewest Thread Starter

yup thanks. I've concluded that it's my motherboard =( So when I install a new motherboard and new operating system, will I get my previous setup/files?

12. racraine1

racraine1

unless you fried your hard drive as well as your mb you should be abnle to get all your files back.

13. metweek

metweek

You should be able to get files back but just a warning that if you are running Windows XP or Vista they will likely complain about you replacing your MB.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice