Solved My ram isn't working

MudeNeedHelp

I'm not sure in what thread I should put this but here I go. I have 16 gigabytes of ram installed on my machine and my pc has been registering and effectively using the ram for a good while. But as of recently my games started lagging and I thought I would look in too why. I found that in my task manager it registers the 16 gb's of ram but 8 of them are "Hardware reserved" this makes it hard for me too play most of the games I enjoy and is a quite annoying problem to have. I tried multiple fixes for it that i found on youtube including fully resetting my pc but none of it seemed to work. So I came here for some help. . . Anything is apprechiated

Couriant

James
Check the max memory box in msconfig; start>run and type in "msconfig" without quotes and hit enter. Click boot>advanced and see if the box has a checkmark. If it does, remove it and restart the system.

MudeNeedHelp

as of now i don't have accses to my pc but i have 4 4gb sticks of ram. a gtx 1060 and an asus motherboard.

Couriant

James
It could be a BIOS issue / memory not mapping correctly.

Are all the memory the same brand/speed? If not, did you make sure those that are the same are on the same channel?

MudeNeedHelp

I'm pretty sure my sticks are in the right slots. I've looked around in the bios but so far not found anything that could be an issue although i am not really good att navigating it since I am pretty new to this kind of "computering". But yes i am using windows 64-bit. I really aprechiate the help man. sorry for the bad grammar man i am kind of tired and i am not native to an english speaking country

Couriant

James
No worries. It’s late for me too. I am thinking a possible reset of the bios may help. Let me look into that but please get that tool running on the machine so we know for sure what hardware we are looking at

MudeNeedHelp

its going to be a while before i can acsess my machine so ill come back to you in a couple hours maby. can you explain what a "tool" is though? to me it kinda sounds malicious

Couriant

James
The tool is a simple program that provides you data of your computer specifications by using simple command line queries. It does not take any other information, only what the computer provides in System Information or other Windows reporting tools :) nothing malicious about it.

MudeNeedHelp

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20210113202817.000000+060
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 1 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 12
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Hard Drives: C: 231 GB (176 GB Free); D: 931 GB (685 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING, ver Rev X.0x, s/n 170910410501616
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated.

This is the information i was given by the tool you provided although another tool i tried was "speccy" according to the request of another guy which again registered the 16 gigabytes but att the same time registered 8 giggs.

16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)

Memory Usage 39 %
Total Physical 7.94 GB
Avaliable Physical 4.77 GB
Total Virtual 9.81 GB
Avaliable Virtual 4.45 GB

MudeNeedHelp

couriant thank you so much for helping out. i was able to solve my issue by switching two of the Ram slots in my pc. i couldnt have solved it if you didnt help out. i hope you have a good rest of your 2021 : )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online