My Rant about Linux

Omega_Shadow

Alright, before I get tons of hate mail from you Linu-phobes out there understand this: I love the Linux OS. I find it to be faster, more secure and easyer to configure and customize. If not for the major flaw that I am about to rant about I would be useing a Linux Distro as my primary OS.

Now on to the ranting>

Is it just me, or is it close to impossible to install programs on linux?! I have tried to install programs on 4 different distros. All failed after months of trying.

My biggest peeve is how they are "packaged". Most of the time you find RPM files. This is fine and dandy as you dont have to go into the console to compile it, just open the RPM with a File/Package installer. One problem: You can't install package A without B, and then B needs C and D but for D to work you need E-G with F depending on H,I and J that cant function without X-Z. And then after all the downloading and installing, you find out that somewhere in there G and X are slightly different version numbers and you have to do it all over again

And the non-compiled ones are worse. Every time I download one of these monstrosities I can't help but think only a programmer can put one together. The premess seems simple enough: Uncompress the archive into a folder, open a console in said folder, invoke your Root privlages, and then type whatever commands the readme tells you to. Well guess what? IT NEVER WORKS. I am sure the develupers are leaveing out some vital commands that most hardcore linux users know by heart and dont even need the readme. But what about people like me who are new and want to learn?!

Why can't there be a program pre-installed in a linux OS that deals with installing software? If you want to install a RPM, the program finds it's dependances and the depndances of those depenances and then DOWNLOADS AND INSTALLS THEM ALL. What a concept!! It should even automaticaly compile installations that come in tarballs. It would be so much better then spending 6 hours of your life simply trying to install a media player.
</rant

Remember: No hate mail!!

I know what you mean.

I tried to install this system monitor thingy, no not gkrellm or whatever, on Fedora Core 3 a while back. On my first installation of FC3, I installed the monitor just fune. Each other installation of FC3 I get those dependency errors.

I run MEPIS (and love it !!), and I find Synaptic to take care of these dependacy problems quite well... Never had a problem before (or maybe I haven't installed enough software)...

Apt-Get is also very good...

But I TOTALLY agree with Omega_Shadow on programs that come as source !! Solving dependancies with these IS a NIGHTMARE!! :mad: That's why I avoid them as much as I can and look for Debian repositories to get my software smoothly through Synaptic/Apt-Get...(y)

Edit: and talking about media players, I have Kaffeine/VLC running just fine in MEPIS :p (and got through synaptic though I have to admit it took a little guesswork to get the correct versions of some package dependancies - but Synaptic makes it easy with its GUI) :D :D

Omega_Shadow

is their a version or equivalent of Synaptic/Apt-Get for Mandrake or Mandriva? Those are my Distro's of choice. Of the the ones I have tried (Ubuntu, Fedora Core 3 & 4, Suse and gentoo) I find Mandrake/Driva the easyest to install and work with.

Omega_Shadow

uh, right, tell that to the countless "installation failed due to unstatisfied _package name_ dependancy" error messages I am getting.

I dont know what you did to get yours to install dependencies automaticaly, but right off the Disk Mandriva does not.

Being that you have worked with linux so long you may change something right after the install to set it up that way and not even give it a second thought. I do the same thing with Windows all the time. It just becomes so hardwired into ya that you just forget about it and it becomes almost like instinct.

It will install any dependency in its repositories, which packages is it that you can't find?

Omega_Shadow

the amarok-gstreamer-plugin, I think thats what its called. After I downloaded that I found I had to find some Gstreamer visual something then something else, then something else....

Never once has Mandriva searched out and found these packages. I have to find them myself.

Stoner

Banned
Good thread, OS.
Installation has been a problem for me, too....and probably kept me from commiting to an installed Linux distro. I do like Slax as a Live CD :) and the application modules are easy to add to the image.

As far as an installed distro goes, too much time is spent learning when I need to be using.
If someone has a good link to the proceedures for installing, nows the time to be a hero and show us the ropes :D

Also, how do you uninstall apps? There are a considerable number of apps I would kill off, and I'd start with Open Office ,which seems to come in most distros, when all I want is a word processor like Abiword.

This is the one thing that drove me mad when I first tried Linux. I couldn't figure out how to install programs. I am a Win boy so I am use to point click and install. Now I am somewhat use to installing stuff on Linux, although by no means is it easy. I agree, Debian distros are fantastic with apt-get. And lets face it, the major difference between distros is their package managment system (forget DE's, that is just GUI and not how it works.)

I have read a lot on the libs and why things are done so in linux. The idea is that the libs are shared and so programs are kept smaller by sharing them. the only problem is that often programs need stuff which your system doesn't already have, and you also get the version mismatch as mentioned.

Basically as I see it, find a distro flavour that suits how you like to install, RPM based distros vs Debain .deb is the main one. And if you are hardcore you can compile - Heck, installing Gentoo is one big compile.

I also found this http://klik.atekon.de/ it is a great little concept. It is very windows esk similar to how we use a .exe installer. I also remember looking at Linspire and it's package manager it is VERY newby friendly (although I think you need a subscription).

I suppose installing programs is a very fundamental thing which newbies (and regular users) wouldn't want to spend too much time with. I really like how Mac OSX installs stuff, it is VERY similar to linux, and so I think it could easily be adopted (BSD vs Linux).

I believe you mean uniphiliac. 'phobe' means afraid of. I also changed it to 'unix' instead of linux.

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online