1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my recieved files doesnt show the files i recieve

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by messyjesse, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. messyjesse

messyjesse Thread Starter

does what it says on the tin, basicly i have plenty of songs, pics etc that people have sent be either over msn or by email etc that by default end up in the recieved files folder however when opening the folder none of the files shows up and it claims to be an empty folder, however as ive viewed them straight after theyve been sent some are still in my recently viewed doccuments so i know they are there, anything that i can do to make them show up?

cheers
    xx

2. moper

moper

Right click one of the 'My Recent Documents'. Click 'Properties.
    The 'Target' box will show the location of the file.

moper

3. messyjesse

thanks, didnt think of that however did as you suggested and the following comes up:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Received Files\n512062667_10885_3250[1].jpg"

any furthur suggestions?

4. moper

moper

Did you look for them there? They are in the Administrator account.
    Seems unusual, unless you normally log in as Administrator.

moper

5. messyjesse

yeah i log on as the only account apart from a guest account, althought i have admin priveleges its not called administrator, is there a hidden admin account i cant access??

thanks
    xx

6. moper

moper

Yes, there is an 'Administrator' account. In XP Pro, it should be visible in Windows Explorer. With XP Home, you have to start your computer one time in Safe Mode for it to appear.
    Are you using Windows Explorer to browse your files?

Try this. Go to 'Start', 'Run', and type: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Received Files in the box. Click OK.

Are your pictures there?

moper

7. messyjesse

comes up with error message 'C:\Documents' cannot be found
    and i am the admin account its called administrator and is the only account (apart from guest) on the laptop

thanks

8. moper

moper

Just to backtrack a bit. When you say:
    . If you click one of these, do the photos open?

Do you have XP Pro or Home?

moper

9. messyjesse

yeah if i click it in my recent doc's then it opens and i can scroll through the other recieved pictures.

i have xp media edition

10. moper

moper

How are you opening the folder?
    Right click, START. Click, EXPLORE. Click the FOLDERS button on the toolbar until you see the tree view in the left pane. Click the plus signs next to C, Documents and Settings, Administrator, My Documents.
    [​IMG]

Is there a "My Recieved Files" folder there?

moper

Attached Files:

11. messyjesse

thanks, i tried that and there is a recieved files folder there, i open it but again NOTHING shows up in the folder

UPDATE: when looking at things in that view it shows an admin account as well as my account and when i + the admin account i can find my recieved files with everything in it! the question now is why am i not that account and how can i move eveything from admin account to account 'jesse'. i would paste a print scrn here to show but being spastic i cant seem to work that either

thanks

12. moper

moper

With your pictures showing in the right pane and 'Your' My Recieved Files folder showing on the left pane, click 'Edit', 'Select All'. They will all change color. Right click and hold on any one of the pictures. Drag the curser while holding the right button over to your desired folder in the left pane. Let go and choose 'Copy Here'.

Now, why are they being saved to the Administrator account? Are they all recieved through Outlook Express? If so, when you get the "Save attachment" box, you must choose a location before you click save. Don't always accept the default location. In your case, you would navigate to the 'My Recieved Files' folder, under your username.

How to post what is on your screen?
    1) Press the PrintScreen(PrtSc) key on your keyboard.(usually located on the top, near F12)
    Note: nothing will appear to happen.
    2)Open Paint. (Start,Programs,Accessories)
    3)Click Edit, Paste.
    4)Click File, Save As.
    5)Choose a location you will remember(Desktop) Give it any name you like. Save as type: GIF works well for screenshots or jpg. Click Save.
    6)In your post at these forums, scroll down and click 'Manage Attachments'. Click 'Browse'. Find the file you just saved and click 'Upload'.
    That's it. You can close the Attachments box and continue with your post as you normally do.

moper

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice