1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My recovery partition's bootloader was overwritten by Windows XP!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by GoldenKevin, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenKevin

GoldenKevin Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I performed a system recovery on my HP Pavilion that came preinstalled with Windows Vista. Right afterwards, I installed Windows XP from a retail disk. When that finished, I realized when I booted XP that the C drive was the recovery partition, and so the bootloader was installed there during installation. I successfully copied all files from the recovery partition to the XP partition and it worked just fine booting into the XP partition. However, when I try booting into the recovery partition, it still tries to boot the XP partition. When I deleted the NTLDR files from the recovery partition, booting into it gave me a "NTLDR is missing", which shouldn't happen at all normally because my recovery partition runs Vista, and Vista uses BOOTMGR, not NTLDR that XP used.

Now, my Vista and XP partitions boot perfectly fine but I still cannot find a way to fix my recovery partition. I've heard of the tool EasyBCD, but the UI is apparently too complicated for me to understand. What I want to do is restore the boot loader on the recovery partition (which runs Windows Vista) from my Windows Vista operating system partition so that when I boot that partition, it boots the recovery partition utility instead of trying to boot Windows XP. EasyBCD looks like it allows me to fix the partition that it's running on but I don't know how to fix a different partition that runs Vista. Does anyone have a clue on how I can proceed on this?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice