1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Recycle Bin is not storing deleted stuff

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by scanner, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

HP Pavilion 511n with WXP Home.
    After cleaning it of spyware about 100 or so and several viruses using Nod 32 untivirus and deleting some BS.. HP programs
    I got this baby to run great and quite fast (1300 GHZ and a 40 GB drive) you know this Rig was sold without the system and application Recovery Cd's,
    but HP has a secret partition (5GB) with everything in it to restore the Rig in it's original state

Now for my problem, the Recycle Bin is not storing the deleted file,
    when I delete a file Small 10 KB or larger one let's say 10 MB, or any size,
    but not larger that the Bin can hold which is 10% of disk space by default.
    the deleted files are deleted for good puff...gone to Mr Gate haven,

in the Recycle Bin property, the box do not move files to the Recycle Bin delete them immediate is "not checked in".
    The right click option, "Empty Recycle Bin" is grayed out
    I've been trying to fix this problem for a while now, I've even done a non destructive recovery, by rebooting and clicking the F10 key option after the HP splash screen
    (this move present you with a screen for a non destructive reinstallation of WXP Home,)

and that went well and without a problem. But the Recycle Bin deleting problem is still there, What can be done to fix this odd problem.. :confused:

2. EvileYe

EvileYe

Download the regedit (Replace/Repair the Recycle Bin in Windows XP) from Line 64 at this site http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

Let us know if that solves your problem.

3. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

EveleYe
    I did the Kellys fix thing line 64 some day ago, and that didn't work...

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you have an NTFS file system (unless you installed Windows yourself and selected FAT32, you probably do), go to Start > Run, enter cmd

At the prompt enter:

rd /s c:\recycler

Accept the prompt to delete the recycle bin and its subdirectories. Then reboot the computer and save a file.

If you have FAT32 use the command:

rd /s c:\recycled

5. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

Rollin'Rog at the prompt >c:document and settings\owner< after typing the line for my NTFS system, I get > the system cannot find the file specified <
    I've typed the spaces correctly. :confused:

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hmmm, there is a space both before and after /s and no others.

"c:" is your boot drive isn't it?

See what really shows for the recycle bin. Go to Folder Options > View and check both "Show Hidden Files " and, temporarily, UN check "hide protected operating system files".

Then, in Explorer, see what shows up in the root drive (c:\). Do you see "recycler" there?

It also might be less prone to error if you enter this first:

cd c:\

then you should be at the c:\> prompt. The command can then just be:

rd /s recycler

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

recycle bin/properties/is the box to not send to recycle bin checked?

8. rude

rude

I don't know if this will work but it's worth a shot:
    Start/Run Type gpedit.msc

Navigate to:
    User Configuration/Administrative Template/Windows Components,
    highlight Windows Explorer,
    on the right pane,right click on "Do not move deleted files to the Recycle Bin and select Properties.
    Make sure it is set to Not Configured.
    OK your way out and you should be good to go.

9. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog the way you've suggested worked. The problem is fixed..Thank you :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice