1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My recycle bin isn't working, files are "permanently deleted" bypassing recycle bin,

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by prakashdeb, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prakashdeb

prakashdeb Thread Starter

Hi... I have a Dell Laptop which is running Windows 7. Whenever i try to delete something, the dialogue box asks "would you like to permanently delete this file?" and seems to totally bypass the recycle bin.

I tried right clicking the recycle bin icon to change properties. The options for "Custom size" and "Don't move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted" are UNCHECKED but are also both greyed out and cannot be changed! "Display delete confirmation dialog" is not grayed out, and is checked.

Also my C: drive doesn't have the Recycle.bin folder. I tried to fix the Recycle bin settings from command prompt by running : rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin. But still after restarting the computer the recycle.bin folder was not there.

Is there any fix for this?

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    try SFC /SCANNOW from cmd prompt

3. prakashdeb

I tried sfc /scannow

It gave me the following message: Windows Resource Protection did not find ant integrity violations.
    Any other suggestion?

4. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    try a chkdsk /r

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Have you got a sticky shift key?

6. pkokkinis

pkokkinis

Are you trying to delete items off your local disk, or a network drive? Network drive deletions skip the Recycle Bin and get permanently deleted.

7. prakashdeb

Hi,

I am deleting files from the local drive.
    I have tried creating a new user account but the issue was not fixed. The laptop is in a domain. The above issue doesn't occur in safe mode. I tried to find out if a service or startup item is causing this but was not able to locate any. I have ran SFC scannow and checkdisk, it didn't help.

There is no group policy which is affecting this.

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

The $Recycle.bin will not be visible on your C: drive unless you have Protected Operating System files set to be visible.

Lets do a search to see if the recycle bin exists.

Please download SystemLook for your operating system from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
    • Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
    • Copy and paste everything in the codebox below into the main textfield:
      Code:
      :folderfind
      *recycle*

• Click the Look button to start the scan.
    • When finished, a Notepad window will open SystemLook.txt with the results of the search and save a copy on your Desktop.
    • Please copy and paste the contents of that log in your next reply.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!