1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Recycle Bin will not delete files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Fred72, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fred72

Fred72 Thread Starter

I am having a problem where my recycle bin is not deleting files and giving me the free memory back in Windows XP SP3. When I delete a file, I go to empty the recycle bin and it "works" in the sense that I get no error message and the bin is empty when I open it. But the icon still says it is full and I have not been given back the memory on the drive the file was on. I can right click and try to empty it again, but I get a message along the lines of "Cannot delete Di2: Access is denied." I've also seen things like Dd1. First of all, Di2 was not the name of the original file, and it's definitely not in use so there should be no conflict. This started happening with my mp3 player (which I also use as a small portable HDD), but now it is also happening with my real HDD.

I tried a solution I found for when your recycle bin becomes supposedly "corrupted," where you open a DOS prompt and type "attrib -s -h recycled" and then "del recycled". For one drive, I had to use "recycled" and on the other I had to use "recycler," - I have no idea why they were different. Anyway, this is supposed to delete a hidden folder I guess where recycled files go before they are emptied from the bin. This did work in emptying the bin and giving me my memory back, but the problem happens again when I delete another file. The bin also seems to fix itself after I do a reboot. Does anyone know what is going on? People have recommended Unlocker to me, but that would only be good if this happened for one file. This happens for every file I try to delete. There is something more involved happening.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The Recycle Bin has nothing to do with memory and you will have the same amount no matter how much is in the bin. If you are low on disk space, you should get a larger drive if that little bit is a problem.

Have you run chkdsk /f on that drive to check for disk errors? Have you run anti-malware and anti-virus scans lately?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!