1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My router is driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by UnD3R0aTh, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UnD3R0aTh

UnD3R0aTh Thread Starter

i have tp-link TD-8840, it keeps rebooting every day roughly at the same time for about two to four hours, power led keeps blinking whenever it tries to connect to gateway! it helps sometimes if i remove all of the LAN cables, or if i only keep one cable in, but once i plug another one, it starts rebooting! (doesn't matter which pc is it) it looks like something to do with my electric current?

i tried to reset it to factor defaults, hard reset via the button on the back, updated firmware, no luck! it just keeps rebooting at the same time, even sometimes all LEDS keep blinking, all four of them, no matter if there's a cable plugged or not!

somebody plz help! :(

2. UnD3R0aTh

UnD3R0aTh Thread Starter

sorry for posting a dupe

hope someone can help

3. srhoades

srhoades

Sounds like a bad unit or bad AC adapter.

4. UnD3R0aTh

UnD3R0aTh Thread Starter

but why would it only start acting up at the same time everyday?!!!!!! it works fine for the rest of the day

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, could it be something about the power input? How about the ISP? Just out of curiosity, does it do it if you disconnect the WAN connection to the Internet?

6. UnD3R0aTh

UnD3R0aTh Thread Starter

i ruled my ISP out because the router actually connects to gateway and the power LED stays solid IF i unplugged all the LAN cables, plug one in, and it just keeps rebooting

did i mention that my power supply has a small crack in it, and melting a tiny bit!!!! probably due to overheating, but still it works fine the rest of the day!

it's gotta be the electric input! any idea how can i troubleshoot it?

7. JohnWill

I'd say you have a power surge issue, especially now that you mention the P/S being cracked and melting! :eek:

8. UnD3R0aTh

UnD3R0aTh Thread Starter

yeah, my old mobo died on me like 3 months ago, i thinks it's bloody electricity!

will a voltage stabilizer solve this problem? should i try buying a new p/s first?

9. JohnWill

I'd buy a quality UPS that has both brownout protection and over-voltage protection.

My CyberPower will do that, I've had a floating neutral here and the voltage went to 170V, it was screaming away complaining about the over-voltage, but the output voltage was steady at 120V.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    if you have (or someone that has one) a voltage meter, check that wall socket out. It's definately a power issue, especially if your power supply is melting... :eek: Great advice from JW here about getting a UPS.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/933587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice