My router keeps disconnecting from the internet. HELP!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BibisF

Help!!

I am at my wits end with this problem, because I have tried everything, and nothing seems to work!!

The problem is that my router keeps disconnecting from the internet, for no apparent reason every few hours or so. I have no idea when it connects again or why. It has gotten to the point that when this happens, I just connect directly to the modem (which is slower), and go on about my surfing. The router I am using now, is a Linksys EA6900 and the same thing happened with a TP-Link C7. The modem is a Zhone ZNID24xxA provided by my internet provider, this modem never loses connection to the internet, but is slower and has less range. My computers or operating systems don’t seem to matter, since the problem is that everything stops receiving internet. The units are still connected to the router address, but not the internet.

I have tried:

Changing the router for another one.

Changing all of the cables connected to everything.

Changing the router’s position and having a fan on it.

Making sure that the latest firmware is installed on both modem and router.

Resetting to factory settings many times.

Connecting directly to a wall outlet instead of a surge suppressor.

Calling my internet provider, who says they don’t see a problem on their end.

Obviously reading absolutely everything in any help forum available and trying all suggestions.

What am I missing?? This has been happening for almost a year and I survive because I connect to the modem, but it does not reach as far! This is my first time posting on any forum because I always find a solution, but this time, I am stumped!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

TerryNet

Terry
No way does adding a device (router) to a network make the network run faster, as you are suggesting.

If you daisy chain two routers using the same LAN subnet internet access through the second router is erratic or non-existent. If you want to continue the daisy chain make sure the routers are using different LAN subnets (e.g., 192.168.1.x and 192.168.3.x).

BibisF

No way does adding a device (router) to a network make the network run faster, as you are suggesting.

If you daisy chain two routers using the same LAN subnet internet access through the second router is erratic or non-existent. If you want to continue the daisy chain make sure the routers are using different LAN subnets (e.g., 192.168.1.x and 192.168.3.x).
Tank you so much for responding. The router and the modem have different lan subnets. I don't know what you mean when you say that the network does not run faster on the router, I am posting pictures of the speed I get on each network, maybe that helps my question...
This is when I am connected to the modem:
https://goo.gl/photos/nowrRFgf2skfDzic9
This is when I am connected to the router:
https://goo.gl/photos/HMXNiAdthRpHcToVA

BibisF

I have put my router into bridge mode. I hope this solves it. I'll post in a day or two if the router does not disconnect from the internet.

TerryNet

Terry
If those speeds you show in post # 5 are with ethernet connections I am amazed and puzzled totally. If the Linksys is getting only 35 Mbps (download) from the Zhone how can it "output" 200 Mbps?

If you are using wireless connections to show that with the 'n' Zhone you get only 35 Mbps but with the 'ac' Linksys you can get 200 Mbps then I appreciate your demonstration that with the great internet access that some people get it is worth the extra money to upgrade to an 'ac' router.

BibisF

Thank you very much for responding, they are both wireless connections.
I have put the router in bridge mode, so far, it has not disconnected from the internet. I wil post later if this ends up being the solution.
Thank you both very much for all your help.

BibisF

Well, I am at a loss! My router keeps disconnecting for no apparent reason, and even if I reboot it, it still has no internet connection until it decides it is time (no idea when)... I have no idea what to do now.
I had my service provider change my zhone modem for a new one and everything is still the same. Could there be a configuration that I am missing? Should I maybe put the zhone into bridge mode and have the router distribute the DHCP?

TerryNet

Terry
I guess it could be a problem with the Zhone's LAN port, the Linksys, or the cable between them. I believe that you have already made sure the Linksys has the latest firmware and reset it to factory defaults, so I won't suggest that.

BibisF

The Zhone is a new one and I have changed the cables may times.

TerryNet

Terry
And when the Linksys disconnects you still have good communication between it and your computer (or whatever device you are using), right?

BibisF

Yes, I am connected to the linksys, just not the internet. What I do when this happens, is that I connect to the zhone's wifi and that always has a connection to the internet.

TerryNet

Terry
Sounds like the Linksys is defective. Maybe only the WAN section is impacted, so you might try (probably should remove the bridge mode first) ...

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected! [TerryNet Note: assume that all routers made in the last five or six years or more have auto-sensing ports.]

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

BibisF

Wow!! Thank you so much! I will try this and get back to you in a week, when I am sure this does not happen.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online