My router resets when I use a pc on my network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LewisCurle

Hi all, my name is Lewis and I have been having this internet issue for about 4 months now and have asked many people in an attempt to fix it. I am going to add a lot of detail but would greatly appreciate anyone’s time to try fix it as it is way over my head now.

we recently moved house and got BT fibre, it worked great for about 2 weeks then when I was on my pc gaming and that. It started to randomly disconnect from the internet, I then got a pop up saying “The smart hub 2 has paused access to this device”. So I checked the access control settings in myrouter and for some reason it had been applied to my Pc. I then went through about 3 months of hell with BT trying to work out why it has even been applied, and why it was randomly killing internet to my device.
In that time I tried many things to fix it. I initially had it connected up with powerline adapters so I could have better speeds than in wifi, when the problem occurred I tried using a solid Ethernet cable to make sure no interference was getting through down the cables in my house. The problem still occurred so I tried it on wireless using a USB adapter and it was all still the same.
I have had 5 different routers since that one and all of them, have been resetting themselves whenever my pc is connected to the routers. So it doesn’t matter what router it is. I had the modem changed to make sure it wasn’t that. So it went from an access control fault killing my internet on my pc only using BTs smart hub 2; to every other router resetting itself when I use my pc.
I have tried many things on my pc but the problem is not related to my individual pc as I took it to my brothers house, he had it for 3 days and it never went of once and we do the same things on it. I borrowed his gaming laptop and brought it home, and the same problem happened.
So after all that I opted to change provider as BT couldn’t not figure out why this was happening. I am now with a company called grain connect who have there own infrastructure and network. With amazing speeds full fibre, I get 700mbs download and the problem still happens when I use my pc.
When my girlfriend is at home alone watching Netflix and just general things it never goes off.
I am at my wits end as to what to try now, gaming is my main hobby and not being able to do it has been torture. If anyone can fix this problem I would be so grateful and would pay money.
That was a lot of information so thanks for even reading it. Hope to hear from some hero
Thanks, Lewis

You may want to consider doing a factory reset on your router at this point. Since you have tried various fixes and no improvement has occurred, this might be the best option to consider. However, you should first consult your ISP. They may be able to monitor connectivity issues for disconnects.

If resetting your PC still does not work, consider a USB Ethernet or USB WiFi adapter; maybe something is wrong with the built in networking component.

LewisCurle

If resetting your PC still does not work, consider a USB Ethernet or USB WiFi adapter; maybe something is wrong with the built in networking component.
Hi Lunar, I have tried an usb wifi adapter and the same problem occurs. It does not seem to be a problem with any individual pc or laptop as any connected to my network causes the issue. Thanks for your reply

That doesn't make sense. You brought over a gaming laptop from your brother and it causes problems. You used a USB wifi adapter and it causes iproblems. Can you try Ethernet and see if it makes a difference?

After returning your brother's laptop, does he experience any problem when his laptop is at home again?

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online