My screen goes purple and jagged and then crashes...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Skeletal

So, I am really gettin upset here, but let me start at the beggining...

Im running a fairly new HP laptop running VISTA (only had it about 4-5 months) and I mostly use it to play games (WoW mostly) and pay bills that sorta thing. (y)

Anyways, I downloaded Spore:)down:), pre downloaded it off the internet, and after about 5 hours of play my computer shot itself in the face with a shotgun...

Everytime I turn on my computer now it has a purple screen (not the little "purple screen of death I mean a purple screen of Satan :eek:), and after a few minutes my desktop starts to show up, only the screen is completly distorted (everything is jagged and to the left of itself is that makes sense) I tried the system recovery but that didnnt help (I never made my own backup disks because when I bought the thing I didnt even think that they wouldnt supply them for me, you can guess my shock when I went digging through the box and found that little partition that basicaly said oh, btw, do it yourself or buy it from us ok! we hate our customers!) :mad:

That being said, I tried to use the system recovery that takes it back a few downloads, I took it back to before I downloaded spore but that didn't help, and now when ever I turn the computer on and by the grace of God it starts to work properly, any time I try and run any program besides my music, it shoots itself in the face agin. When ever it crashes it preforms a physical memory dump and restarts itself. :(

I think one possibility is that my Nvidia melted but I haven't craked open my computer yet.:confused:

Am I screwed into buying a totally new computer or is there hope for me?:(

Please send any tips or help via email (I have access at work) :confused:

Skeletal

Forgot to mention that my internet explorer crashes any time I close a window (internet explorer has stopped working) so I can't close windows without all my windows closing (this was happening before the problem I mentioned above).

But now that my computer is fragged it dosn't even turn on anymore

Skeletal

K, here are the specs on my computer, it is a HP dv9740us notebook with a Nvidia GeForce 8600m GS processor.

Skeletal

no, how would I go about doing that, any time I start my computer in safe mode it dosn't let me do anything (anytime I try to open something it says that the computer dosn't have the power to do that or something of that nature) and I have no idea how to work command prompt other that: shutdown /s.

Would I need to buy a new graphics card and mother board or is there a program I can download?

Skeletal

Broke down and just took it to the repair place, i'll post if they fix it

I would have just run the recovery partition, HP has one that is non destructive and will save your files and data and just install Windows and programs. Tapping F10 after pressing power button until you enter it is all you had to do.

Skeletal

I ran the partition twice, didnt fix the problem, stll waiting to hear back from repair place... Oh and get this, my roommate is a computer wiz and he told me that he could fix it, but didn't want to waste his time...

Skeletal

So, heard back from the repair place the other day... They charged me $62 to tell me they couldnt fix it. BS! They told me that they wiped the hard drive and that "good news" your screen dosn't turn purple anymore. The only problem now is that the screen dosn't come on at all. Im thinking about just scrapping it and starting over, any suggestions before i trash it?

You can buy the disks to restore it from HP for about $20 including freight. Go to www.hp.com and support, downloads and right with the drivers you should see a way to buy the disks but wait, you said the pc is 4-5 months old. HP warranties every laptop a minimum 1 year.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts