1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My second identical computer build has failed - won't POST

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Careys-New-BFF, Sep 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Careys-New-BFF

Careys-New-BFF Thread Starter

Hi In July I built a desktop from Uncle Carey's website and posted to this Forum, "My first ever computer build!"

My first ever computer build was so much fun, I built another one to give to my brother.

It is a duplicate of the original.

Here is my problem, it will not post!

I've disconnected absolutely everything from the motherboard apart from those required to boot.

The z370XP SLI starts, as do the fans, but then it turns off and tries again, and again.

I've removed the CMOS, I've re-seated the RAM, I've quadruple checked all of the connections and I've even swapped the RAM from my original build, changed to a wired keyboard and mouse; but it flatly refuses to post.

I know I am old, I know I am stupid and I know the answer should be obvious but, for the life of me I cannot fix it.

Please help.

PARTS LIST:

Case: CORSAIR Carbide 200R
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370XP SLI
    CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
    GPU: Built-in to CPU
    Graphics card: Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GT710 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express
    CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev. B
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz (PC4 21300)
    SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
    ODD: Asus Internal 24x DVD-RW SATA DRW-24D5MT
    PSU: EVGA Gold SuperNOVA G1 Modular ATX - 650 W
    Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech MK330 Wireless Combo
    Wireless/Bluetooth: Gigabyte GC-WB1733d-I Wireless-AC PCI-E Card v5.0 1733Mbps

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is possible you received a DOA board. Have you done the out of case build using the onchip video? If not, do so.
    Next have you read the guide at the top of the hw forum for problem builds? That would be the first thing I would do.

3. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hello Careys-New-BFF,

Have you assembled the parts inside or outside of the case on a non conductive surface such as a large piece of cardboard that is bigger than the MB.

What you describe is typical behaviour of a system short or an outside chance the CPU cooling fan being connected to the wrong fan header on the MB.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice