1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My secondary harddrive became unformatted

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fluorophore, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fluorophore

fluorophore Thread Starter

WinXP, 2 drives (C: 20 GB, D: 30 GB), both formatted FAT32, no partitions of any kind

D: drive has spontaneously become unformatted after startup on two occassions (span of several months between incidents). I don't know why. The drive has a letter assigned, but XP asks me if I want to format it. Drive contents aren't recongnizable on another XP machine, so something is wrong with the drive. I have run the Maxtor drive utility to see if there is a problem, and the full scan has come up clean.

Is there a simple utility that might fix this problem without reformatting?

edit: TestDisk 5.2 sees the files on the drive, I just can't access them in XP. Is there anything I can do with TestDisk to help my cause? I'm not technically repairing a partition, so maybe this isn't the best utility for me. It does see my files fully intact, however. This is good.

2. fluorophore

Just ran a utility that scans and repairs bad sectors, but it found nothing wrong.

Obviously something weird is going on here. I also ran something called "PC Inspector File Recovery" and it couldn't touch the drive saying it has a bad boot sector.

I can't run chkdsk either. When I do, it immediately closes the window and quits. Norton Disk Doctor can't access the drive because it's "not formatted."

HELP!

3. fluorophore

Using PartionMagic 8.0, here is what I see:

Disk 1:
    Local Disk ( C: ), FAT32, 19,092.8 MB, Active, Primary

Disk 2:
    Local Disk ( D: ), Unformatted, 29298.2 MB, Active, Primary
    (*), Unallocated, 7.8 MB, None, Primary

The program won't let me do anything to Disk 2 because nothing is formatted. I think there's something wrong with the boot sector (is this the unallocated piece listed above?).

:confused:

4. Neuroe

Neuroe

I have the same problem of my second WD2000 drive becoming unformated right after i attempted to reinstall Win XP Pro, I lost a lot of important documents AGAIN to this same problem :mad: , i believe it has to do with the WinXP install disk not recognizing Long Drive Names and promptly destroying what it can't understand... at least not right away.. Im sure the data is still there and it is just the drives index record, how can i recover this?? :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!