1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Shared Connecion is not working. Please Help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Conpow, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Conpow

Conpow Thread Starter

Hey, i have a connection setup that is suppose to be shared in my hosue. On the netwrok are 2 Desktop Computers, 2 Laptops( 1Almost never used, and almost always off) and an xbax 360 with xbox live and a wireless adapter. So anyway, i have a Westell Wirespeed modem that connects to my Linksys EFAH05W Router, which than connects to my computer, and also connects to my Linksys WRT54GC wireless router.

Now, 2 people can be on the 2 desktops and it will work fine, but if someone is on the desktop and is on the internet, and i am playing XBOX LIVE on my 360 then i will lag very bad and be in red bar (lowest and worst connection). So what is my problem, is my enternet just too slow to keep up with both the computer and xbox on the internet at the same time.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why do you have multiple routers? The Wirespeed is likely a router as well.

How are all of these devices connected together, please be specific. Also, I'd like the exact model of that Wirespeed modem.

If you are all using wireless connections, that could be the bottleneck here. Also, it will depend on the exact service level you have and what the other poeple are doing on the desktop(s) to cause your issues.

3. Conpow

Conpow Thread Starter

we have multiple routers becase we use a direct connection to the computer that hte routers are at ad the nwe have the wirless connected to the Wirespeed MODEL : B90-211060-04 and the wireless router gives connection to the xbox, the laptops and the other desktop

Usually when im on the xbox the people on the desktops are doing simple things, like talking on AIM or doing research on websites, or checking email.

If you need anymore information ill be happy to try to get it.
    Thanks

4. JohnWill

I'd like to see a detail diagram of how all of this stuff interconnects, including the ports you use on each. It's pretty hard to understand the topology from the limited information, and multiple routers gives you lots of places to go wrong.

5. Conpow

Conpow Thread Starter

Hey i made i diagram in paint but i dont know how to put it in my post so if you want em to i will send it to your eamail or somethign just tell me adn ill send it

6. JohnWill

Zip the file and attach it to a post here.

7. Conpow

Conpow Thread Starter

8. JohnWill

If you save it as a JPG, just attach it to a post.

You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to TSG, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

9. Thalaric

Thalaric

My curiosity is peaking on what this is going to look like.

10. Conpow

Conpow Thread Starter

Hey, i was wondering what i could do to increase my wireless conection so that i would get a better connection for my Online Gaming on XBOX 360.

Thanks for your help.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You worded this differently, but it still smells a lot like http://forums.techguy.org/networking/701086-my-shared-connecion-not-working.html

People are eagerly awaiting a diagram of your complicated network. I don't know how anybody could suggest anything without knowing what you have.

And "increase my wireless conection" makes no sense. Increase wireless connection signal strength or bandwidth or reliability maybe?

12. Conpow

Conpow Thread Starter

yea sorry, i was going to fast, i meant ot say increase my wireless signnal strength.

13. Conpow

Conpow Thread Starter

Here is the diagram, i know it is very bad but i am bad at paint and i dont have any other programs to make it with so yea, here it is.

Attached Files:

14. JohnWill

The information I was looking for was specifically what ports on each of these devices are connected to the other devices. Are you really daisy-chaining THREE routers? What is the purpose here?

15. JohnWill

I've merged the two threads, please don't start multiple threads on the same issue.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!