1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My sluggish PC

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by wthines, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wthines

wthines Thread Starter

I read the reply to my previous note and downloaded new latest version of HJT and did as requested but have received no response. I am assuming I should begin a new thread so here it is in its entirety. The machine CONSTANTLY loses resources and gets VERY sluggish. I cannot understand why. I currently have just under 400 Meg of RAM but must totally replace any chips to increase this not jsut install additional as all slots are full. Would increasing on board mem reduce this happening? If needed, I would most likely remove 128 Meg and replace with a 512 chip is my thoughts but, I am unsure as to whether this would actually help. Thank you again

ogfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
    Scan saved at 5:08:56 AM, on 2/14/2005
    Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSRTE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIDSERV.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHLD.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSESCN.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCAGENT.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE QUICKCLEAN\PLGUNI.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\CALLWAVE\IAM.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\DIGITAL IMAGING\BIN\HPOTDD01.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WBEM\WINMGMT.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSFTSN.EXE
    C:\WMCONNECT\WWM.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\TD_0004.DIR\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
    O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YCOMP5_5_7_0.DLL
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHL.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YCOMP5_5_7_0.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Hidserv] Hidserv.exe run
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EACLEAN] C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\eaclean.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCMNHDLR.EXE" /checktask
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsshld.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mcagent.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OWCCardbusTray] ocbtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpybotSnD] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYBOT - SEARCH & DESTROY\SPYBOTSD.EXE"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [McVsRte] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsrte.exe /embedding
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [McAfee QuickClean Imonitor] C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee QuickClean\Plguni.exe /START
    O4 - Startup: Wal-Mart Connect Tray Icon.lnk = C:\wmconnect\wmtray.exe
    O4 - Startup: Internet Answering Machine.lnk = C:\Program Files\CallWave\IAM.EXE
    O4 - Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
    O4 - Startup: hp instant support.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\hpis\bin\matcli.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0521.DLL
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0521.DLL
    O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
    O16 - DPF: {89D75D39-5531-47BA-9E4F-B346BA9C362C} (CWDL_DownLoadControl Class) - http://www.callwave.com/include/cab/CWDL_DownLoad.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {F58E1CEF-A068-4C15-BA5E-587CAF3EE8C6} (MSN Chat Control 4.5) - http://chat.msn.com/bin/msnchat45.cab
    O16 - DPF: {F72BC3F0-6C20-4793-9DDA-258589D8A907} - http://akamai.downloadv3.com/binaries/IA/netslv32_EN.cab

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Posting a duplicate post is not going to get you help much quicker. It may actually delay getting you help because we don't have the benefit of seeing what was previously posted and what replies you received.

----------------------------------------------------------------

There are several reasons for a computer being sluggish:

Too many unnecessary programs running in the background.

A large buildup of temp files and other useless files.

A large buildup of spyware, malware, and other "nasties".

A severely fragmented hard drive.

A hard drive with too much used space and too little free space.

If that computer has just under 400 MB of RAM, that's plenty for Windows ME.

You need to move HijackThis out of the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder and place it somewhere else.

3. wthines

wthines Thread Starter

I'm sorry I upset you. The purpose of the new message was not an attempt to increase the speed at which there was a response but evidently it did just that. For I have checked and the previous message had not received a reeply since requesting that I download and run HJT again. I have done that three times now and there was no response what so ever. Sorry to have created problems for you. I was jsut looking for some help.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    No offense taken, and I'm not upset. ;)

We all volunteer our time here, so some posts don't get answered quickly or at all. The best way to move your post to the top of the list is to reply to your post and just type in "bump". (y)

5. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

"The machine CONSTANTLY loses resources and gets VERY sluggish."

A common failing with ME, but a condition which can be improved (slightly) if the drive is partitioned.

512Mb of RAM is about all ME will handle successfully.

In order to have more resources it is better to clean install XP, if you can, then you can not only have more resources but you can also use more RAM and with enough RAM you won't get much of a paging file, so the performance of your hardware will improve in relation to the XP operating system. (IF ... it is all compatible.)

I had ME with a 1ยท0GHz PIII and 512Mb of RAM installed to a 4096Mb drive partition C: on a 60Gb drive. I found that the drive was too big for stability and doing simple things like renaming folders. Hence the partitioning.

Windows XP Compatability Test

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

While you can do a clean install to a completely different operating system.

Perhaps first you might want to do a good spyware and Trojan scan using several different programs. Do a virus scan. Remove any unnecessary programs from starting automatically.

If you turn it on and do nothing, do the system resources go down. Can you isolate it to a particular program.

And system resources are different from your total RAM.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Also before you take any advice to blindly change operating systems, you need to make sure that all your hardware and software is going to be supported. Just because it was with ME, is no guarantee that it will be with XP. It might be. But it would be prudent to be sure before starting down that particular path. Tough one to back out of once you make the commitment.

Some more testing can cleanup might be a safer way to start.

Also, might want to do a general file cleanup. Empty things like any TEMP directories you have. Typically you should at least empty the c:\windows\temp and c:\temp directories.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I agree with Bob. Making an upgrade from Windows ME to Windows XP is not going to guarantee a "fix" for your problems, and may only make things worse if your computer is not compatible with a Windows XP upgrade. Personally, I would go the other direction and do a clean install of Windows 98SE. It's more stable and has less problems than Windows ME.

9. wthines

wthines Thread Starter

Well, lets see where to begin. I have AdWare SE Personal and Spybot running along with the latest version of McAfees Anti Virus software. I CONSTANTLY update all three and run AdWare and Spybot routinely (almost daily). I delete all extraneous files often (more than once per week) including all temp files and I do not maintain a history of internet locations visited. It "appears" that the reduction of performance is usually associated with graphics programs (Kodak Easyshare or PrintShop Delux). I also notice some difficulties when operating MSN Messenger. It often slows things down so much that the cursor "stutters" or fails to move at all. Could it be simply the need for a graphics card with greater internal memory might help? I am normally satisfied with performance but these few issues do create some headaches.

10. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

How much main memory, or RAM does the computer have? Is the video memory exclusive or inclusive? (Does it use some of the system RAM, or is it on a video card of its own.)

ME is limited in system resources and this failing is part of the operating system architecture. This limitation can only be overcome by changing to XP, and XP can easily use 512Mb of RAM and is more often than not fitted with 1024Mb of RAM on a new machine.

I.E. Not a PII 64Mb Windows '98 computer that has been progressively upgraded.

(I know someone that has one, btw, and it is THE MOST STABLE computer I have ever seen. After doing NO maintenance for over a year and with hundreds of trojans, a couple of viruses, a partly damaged Winsock, over 4Gb of junk files, a tredle operated 10Gb hard drive, steam video, and over 80% fragmentation, the owner was still using Excel on Office '97 by using keyboard cooling courtesy of the Coca Cola company. If it ever needed re-booting all you had to do was kick the wiring, which was real handy, as it dimmed the lights at the same time.)

Using delindex.bat helps clear a lot of junk off the ME system as does EmpTemp.

Faster performance. 3GHz P4, fast bus speed, fast drive speed, 512Mb of fast RAM, but none of this will overcome the basic shortage of system resources which remain part of the OS architecture...

But then I've seen '98 on a fast, modern, machine, with a 7,200 rpm 20Gb drive, with an 8Mb drive-cache, and it flys!

I see that you have *Statemgr running for System Restore. I turned it off and imaged the drive instead.

How about some specs so we can get a better idea?

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Wthines:

I had the same "lag time" problem with MSN Messenger when I was using it in my old HP Pavilion 8160. The processor was too slow(262 MHz) and there wasn't enough RAM(128 MB) to keep it running right, even when all other programs were turned off. I'd previously disabled the on-board video chip and installed an ATI Xpert 128 graphics card with 16 MB of video memory, but that didn't help any. It's a nice chat/telephony program to use, but it takes more processing power and RAM to run than it used to.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If it is constantly losing resources, adding more memory isn't going to solve the problem. You need to find the source for this happening.

One way is to turn your computer and immediately note the % of system resources. Then do nothing and let it sit for a while. Then see if it starts to decrease or is low to begin with. If it does, then something is running at startup that is the cause.

If it stays stable for a while, then start running one application at a time while you monitor your system resources.

13. wthines

wthines Thread Starter

376 Meg of Ram....AMD Anthlon processor (450 MHtz I do believe). If there is more information you wish..let me know

14. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

There are a lot of good suggestions on this site for making Me run well.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Your computer probably has 384 MB of RAM and has 8 MB of it being used by an "on-board" video adapter, which is why it shows 376 MB. With that much RAM and a 450 MHz processor, MSN Messenger 7x should run okay.

Bob brings out a good point. If you have too many unnecessary programs running in the background, they're going to suck down system resources. That's one reason that I stress keeping the startup load as small as possible.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice