1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My teen wants to buy this gaming laptop...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beckri, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beckri

beckri Thread Starter

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen-Laptop-59426255/dp/B00K6ZIFFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo++i7-4700hq+y50

It's actually over his budget... until his next paycheck, at which point it'll wipe out his savings account.:(
    So before he blows everything he's earned this summer taking orders at a fast-food joint, thought I'd ask if this will be a great choice. It's a Lenovo Y50 laptop sold on Amazon. He looked at it in a Best Buy store where it costs nearly a hundred dollars more. He's a junior in high school this year, so use will be for any school related study/research :)rolleyes:), facebook, Minecraft and he wants to get Skyrim/Elder Scrolls downloaded once he makes his purchase. I think the salesman said that this could be linked to his PS4 - I'm not a techie at all so I don't know that this is hugely important but my son seemed impressed.

I've read reviews dissing the screen. But we saw it in store and didn't think it looked as... unpleasant as some reviewers thought. The other negative thing I've read is something about having to press two keys on the keyboard to control the sound. Again, I don't think that that sounds like a big deal either.

I guess I'm wondering if there's something better for his money or is this actually dang good for $1250 plus tax from Best Buy? (I know Amazon's price is cheaper but hesitate to have to handle any troubles we may encounter by purchasing it there rather than from b&m where we can go in and bellyache.) Thanks!

2. Sponsor

3. texasbullet

texasbullet

It would be much better if he builds his own desktop. It will cost him more or less what he is expecting to pay, but he will have in his computer the parts he needs and can upgrade it later on. (just my thought).

4. xarinlemox

xarinlemox

I'm not sure if laptops are suited for gaming. Desktop PC's are ideal for gaming. Laptops can be good for research, web browsing, using software like MS office, watching movies, giving presentations and studies. The screen resolution of 1920*1080 seems excessive since the screen is only 15.6 inches. Also there seems to be no graphics card in the laptop, I don't know if its on board graphics are enough for playing Skyrim.

This laptop in link below seems okay for Skyrim because it has a Gforce GTX850M.
    http://www.amazon.com/N550JK-DS71T-Full-HD-Touchscreen-Laptop-Aluminum-Body/dp/B00IAA5BSS/ref=psdc1_t2_B00K6ZIFFG_B00IAA5BSS

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless the laptop is designed as a gaming laptop ie the dell/alienware ones, they very frequently have overheating problems. I doubt that this is a gaming laptop since the weight listed is 5lbs or so. The dells designed for gaming weigh in at 8 or 9lbs [better cooling, larger battery, real video card, etc]

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

The Lenovo Y50's are gaming laptops and should be fine although they are not the best gaming laptops around. Alienware, Asus, and MSI tend to make better ones.

Have a read here for a good review: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y50-Notebook-Review.120215.0.html

FYI, BestBuy service is usually terrible. In most cases you'd be sending the laptop away for hardware warranty service.

7. SM4SH

SM4SH

For gamming get a laptop, only if it is absolutely necessary, because you will always be paying more, and sacrificing performance for portability.

As for the laptop you have selected, I cant say that it is the best, but the specs look Okay at first glance. I am not crazy about the hard drive though. For that price I would prefer 2 hard drives (An SSD for boot and programs[at least 250GB], and a large HDD for mass storage[1TB]) and would also like to have a little better GPU.

I would also like to mention that what ever you chose, Best buy will match amazon's prices on anything that is sold by amazon (cant be a 3rd party seller), All you have to do is ask.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1132236