1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Thinkpad Will Not Recognize New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jbenson21, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbenson21

jbenson21 Thread Starter

My friend recently gave me a laptop of his that was having problems, telling me that I can have the computer if I can fix the problems with it. It is a Thinkpad, and I believe 8891 would be the model number, but I can't be certain. After looking into it, and speaking with a gentleman at Best Buy's Geek Squad, and searching the internet, we decided that the hard drive had been fried. I was getting a blue screen that said Unmountable Boot Volume. So I purchased a new hard drive for it. I am quite certain that it is the correct drive for it because I brought my old one into Best Buy the next day, and they helped me choose the one I needed for it. A WD Scorpio Blue. Model number WD2500BEVT. When I replaced the hard drive and put in the disc to reload the O.S. on it, I got to the first part of the blue screen that I was supposed to choose an option. After waiting a few minutes for it to read the computer or whatever it is doing at that point. The computer tells me that it doesn't recognize, or didn't find the hard drive. The new drive did not come with any disc to load this drive onto the computer. I am by no means a computer expert, but I have reloaded O.S. on my parents P.C. after it crashed, but never had these problems. But then again, I never had to replace the hard drive. I'm asking for any advise, because I don't feel like the money I would spend on this older (2005-ish) computer to take it in and have it worked on professionally would be worth the money. Any ideas?!?

2. Hughv

Hughv

What is the OS and the model of the drive?
    What disk are you using to load the OS?
    More paragraphs, please.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you are loading Windows XP than it will not see a hard dive connected to a SATA controller in ACHI/RAID mode. You will need to enter the BIOS setup and set the SATA controller to Legacy/IDE mode and than XP should see that hard drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1002038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice