1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Toshiba laptop won't connect to the Internet even though it's connected to Wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RaineeRose, Dec 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RaineeRose

RaineeRose Thread Starter

Please help. I know very little about computers. Please excuse me if I explain things wrong and use incorrect terminology.

I hadn't used my laptop for a while, and yesterday, it didn't come on when I tried to turn it on. I ended up taking out the battery, then holding down the power button for 30 seconds. The laptop worked fine after that, and I was able to access the Internet. When I went to shut it down, it said that it had updates to install, so I told it to install the updates and shut off when it was done.

When I started it up today, it seemed slow to get to the Toshiba screen. It looked liked it was still installing updates, which I found odd because it had shut itself down yesterday after installing all of them (I thought). I shut it down again after the updates (or whatever that was) had completed, and I was able to access one site very briefly. However, now I can't access the Internet at all. The Internet Explorer page comes up for a few seconds and then closes again to the Toshiba page. When I check my connection, it says that the Wifi is connected. I can't figure out why I can't access the Internet. Please help.

Edited to add that I'm using Windows 8. Also, I just tried to scan with Norton, but the scan won't work.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstall Norton and run Symantec's Norton Removal Tool. You can reinstall Norton, if desired, after testing.

3. RaineeRose

Thanks for your response. Does the removal tool tell me how to put Norton back on?

How do I use the tool when I can't connect to the Internet?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you know your product key or whatever you need to reinstall and reactivate your product.

You must be able to connect to the internet since you are posting here. :) Download the tool using a computer that has internet access and copy it over to the crippled PC via removable media (USB flash drive, CD, floppy disk, etc.).

5. RaineeRose

I have no idea what the product key is.

:) Yes, I can connect on my desktop but not on my laptop. I can download the tool to a DVD from this computer, but what do I do about the product key? Where can I find it?

(Sorry to be so dense.)

I was also wondering about Norton. Does it cause these kinds of problems? I've never had a problem connecting to the Internet before today. I can't figure out what changed so fast...

6. RaineeRose

I figured out how to get the product key from the Norton site. Before I uninstall Norton, though, I'd still like to know why you think it might be the problem causing my inability to connect to the Internet even though the Wifi is connected. I'm not trying to second-guess you or anything; it's just that I don't know anything about these things, but I always though Norton was one of the "good guys." Thanks again for your help.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Because in the almost ten years that I have been a member here about 50% of the time that a problem has "smelled like" a firewall getting corrupted, mis-configured or out-of-date that has been the case.

It "smells like" a possible corruption because you just installed Windows updates.
    It "smells like" possible/likely out-of-date because "I hadn't used my laptop for a while."

Seldom can a problem like this be solved with the first attempt at a fix with no trouble shooting, so when I see a 50% chance of doing so with a straightforward procedure I go for it. :)

8. RaineeRose

That all makes sense to me. I hadn't used the laptop for about two or three weeks, and Windows had about 19 updates. Could the fact that I pulled the battery have caused any problems?

Thanks again.

9. RaineeRose

I haven't uninstalled Norton yet, but I did disable Norton's Smart Firewall and was able to connect to the Internet. When I enabled it again, I was not able to connect. Would an uninstall and then reinstall of Norton take care of this issue? Thanks!

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably.

11. RaineeRose

I just ran Norton's LiveUpdate, and now I can get Internet. Hope it lasts. Thank you for your help.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice