1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved My Toshiba Satellite S55 Series computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gmag, Jul 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gmag

Gmag Thread Starter

My computer has a computer icon with an X on it in the bottom right of the screen and nothing works. Any help is appreciated. I have no clue it was fine last night.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Gmag, and welcome to TSG.

1) Is the icon in the taskbar or on the desktop? Can you take a picture of it and post it here?

2) Are we safe to assume you are running some version of MS-Windows? If so, exactly what version is it?

3) When you say nothing works, do you mean that you can't do anything with the keyboard or the mouse at any time?

4) What are the brand and exact model number of the computer?

3. Gmag

Gmag Thread Starter

My computer is a Toshiba Satellite S55 Series. I have Windows 10. It will do nothing. I have to sign in when I first turn it on which is my Microsoft sign on. Then when my desktop comes up I get the computer icon in the right bottom of the screen with a red x on it and I cannot do anything. I took a picture of my desktop screen. Hope you can see what I'm talking about. Sorry, I'm not tech savvy.

Attached Files:

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I can see the icon in your photo, but I do not recognize it.

Are you saying that the keyboard and possibly the touchpad are working OK to allow you to enter your login information, but then they stop working shortly after you log on?

Is there a cursor visible on the screen? If so and the touchpad still works, what do you get when you move the cursor over the icon with the red X?

Does anything happen if you press the Ctl-Alt-Del key combination on the keyboard?

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I found the icon (top row 2nd from left)
    W10_icons.jpg

Now to try and figure out what it means. That's the synaptic touchpad icon.
    W10_synaptic.jpg

If the touchpad isn't working, attach a mouse. At least then you'll be able to troubleshoot the touchpad problem with a working click on the mouse.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    cwwozniak likes this.
  6. Gmag

Gmag Thread Starter

The touchpad doesn't work but I have a mouse that I use. When I did CTRL + ALT +DEL I got a screen that shows Lock, Switch user, Sign out, Task Manager, and a Cancel button

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

Please explain further what you mean by "nothing works". Your keyboard and mouse is working it seems. Do you mean nothing happens when you try to click to start a program? You have to be specific. Specific things makes a difference in what we attempt to try and fix.

8. Gmag

Gmag Thread Starter

I did CTRL+ALT+DEL then signed out. I was able to get back in, but couldn't get an internet connection. I have turned off my wi fi and unplugged to reboot. Hopefully, this will take care of the problem. Still don't know what happened or why, but thanks for the help. Since I don't work on a computer all day anymore, I didn't even think about doing the CTRL+ALT+DEL. So glad I now you're here for help.

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You have this marked as solved. Did rebooting resolve your problem with the touchpad not working and also get you a working Internet connection?

10. Gmag

Gmag Thread Starter

Yes it fixed the problem. My WiFi is also really slow, but when I called them at 9PM on Saturday evening I was number 19 in line. I figured it wasn't the computer. I saw an ad on this site for WiFi Blast, does anyone have any experience or knowledge about it. I live in rural Indiana and my internet options are very limited.

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Wifi Blast is not an ISP. It is a range extender for your current wifi signal. If your wifi signal is slow, a wifi blast extender will not make it faster. It simply allows you to access your wifi in more parts of your home.

What is your speed when you are wired rather than wireless?

12. Gmag

Gmag Thread Starter

I don't have an option to be wired with the service I have. The technician said the box had to be in front of the window facing their tower a mile away and my computer is in a different room. The kitchen is the only room available for the modem.

13. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Sounds like Windstream. So you have a box that depends on line of sight. It will never be fast.

14. Gmag

Gmag Thread Starter

Oh Great! Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. We just don't have much options in the rural Indiana area. We tried Hughes Net satellite service, it sucks too.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230271

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice