1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My touchpad is messing up my laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parrot0123, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Parrot0123

Parrot0123 Thread Starter

I'm not sure what initiates the issue, but for some reason my touchpad has been acting really weird. It works perfectly fine after a reboot and for maybe a couple of hours afterwards, but then suddenly the cursor freezes. Using an external mouse works, but then every window that has a scrollbar is automatically scrolled to the top and resists being moved.

Also, for some reason, it causes anything I type into Google Hangouts to type backwards.

The computer is an Acer laptop with 6gb or RAM, the processor is an AMD E1-2500 APU with Radeon graphics, 1.40 GHz. It's running Windows 8.1

The Touchpad is a Synaptics Touchpad v7.5 on PS/2 Port

Can anybody help me figure this out?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. Parrot0123

Parrot0123 Thread Starter

Well, the issue hasn't cropped up again in over a day now. I'm tentatively hoping that some sort of background update fixed the issue, but it could also be that I just haven't done the thing that triggers it in a while, and if I knew what that thing was I'd be further along in understanding this issue.

Does nobody have any idea what could cause something like this?

3. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Same problem after temporarily booting and running a different Operating System from a Live CD/USB?

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or USB key.​

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive. Use it's browser to surf the 'net -- just like you would in Windows --, try some YouTube videos, browse some Forums, maybe play a couple of online games, etc., just to see if the touchpad starts acting up again. (When you're done testing, remove the LIve CD/DVD/USB and simply reboot your PC from the hard drive as you normally would).

If the problem persists even when running a different OS, then the issue is probably hardware related.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice