1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My tower isn't working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PinkieDP, Dec 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PinkieDP

PinkieDP Thread Starter

This may sound strange but. I pulled an old tower out of my closet to see if it works. It kinda does. When I turn it on the fans go and the lights to but it dosent turn on on. It's like its in a standby. But yesterday I was messing with it and I went to move it (it was still on) and I heard a click, the fans slowed down, and the computer fully turned on. I am at my limit here. What do I do!?

2. Sponsor

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, no one [other than you] has any idea what type of hardware you are asking about. Post ALL of your exact specs; ie exact mb, exact pw supply, etc, etc, etc. If this is a big box system, ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand and model#

Next it would appear that you have an intermittent problem. The VERY first thing I would do would be to open the case and reseat all connectors; specifically the atx and aux pw connectors. When you pull the connectors OFF, give the pins and connector a VERY close inspection. See if you can see any indications of arcing, burned marks, etc.

4. PinkieDP

PinkieDP Thread Starter

Ok then lets see. It's an HP pavilion a1330n with a bestec 300 w maximum battery. It's got a gig of memory with 250 gigs of hard drive space, AMD prosseccer. All the pins look fine. No damage

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is a 10yr old system and as such, it is not cost effective to repair. If you want to do this as a learning experience, fine.
    The first thing that just jumps out at me is the bestec pw supply. Those are VERY low quality and should be replaced whether it is causing the problem or not. When a bestec fails, it very often takes out other parts ie motherboard, ram, etc.

Here is what I would do;
    1 Install a decent pw supply. If that fixes the problem, great. If not, then proceed with step #2
    2 System OFF, pull the pw connectors from ALL drives, both hd and optical
    3 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc
    4 Remove any add-in cards such as nic, sound, etc. If you have a real video card, leave that installed however do reseat the card and be sure it is fully seated in the slot
    5 Clear cmos with the clear jumper. Replace jumper to the normal or keep position.
    6 Now pw ON and see if you get a display. If you do, then shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If you do not get a display in the above config, then you are going to have to start swapping parts with known good ones ie mb, ram, cpu, etc.

6. PinkieDP

PinkieDP Thread Starter

Hopefully that should do it. ( not at the tower at the moment). And you guessed right I'm mainly just doing this to see if I can/ just seeing how far I can upgrade it. When I get back I'll let you know if it worked. Right now my attention is diverted to fallout 4 so its going to be a minute

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

HP Pavilion Media Center a1330n Desktop PC (EL466AA)

This model desktop was introduced in November 2005 and came with Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2 and came with this hardware:
    AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.40 GHz processor
    1 GB(512 MB X 2) of DDR PC3200 RAM - supports up to 4 GB(1 GB X 4)
    250 GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drive
    DVD+/-RW disc drive
    DVD-ROM disc drive
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics with 128 MB dedicated memory
    Realtek AC'97 audio
    Realtek 10/100 Mbps ethernet

What do you mean by "the computer fully turned on"?
    Did Windows XP completely start up and load the desktop?

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. PinkieDP

PinkieDP Thread Starter

Yes. Up until that point all it was doing was spinning the fans and blinking the lights. Nothing was on the monitor

9. flavallee

If I'm understanding you correctly, Windows XP is loading and the computer is usable?

10. PinkieDP

PinkieDP Thread Starter

No. I had to turn it off and now its doing the same thing it was before the click

11. flavallee

Never mind then. I misunderstood you and thought you had a "working" desktop.

I concur with crjdriver and wouldn't put any money into a 10-year old desktop.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1162105