1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My user account got deleted? And I need it back :(

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kyin01, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kyin01

kyin01 Thread Starter

Ah, I ran into another problem! I don't want to spam the board with my topics so I hope you guys don't mind if I change the topic a little bit

Okay so I tried to make a Limited user account.
    I went to control panel -> user accounts and when I tried to create the account the Limited option was grayed out. I could not make it!
    So I created an administrator account anyways. I than switched to that new account (called it 2) and while inside that account (2) I went back to user accounts in control panel and than I was able to make a new account with limited access.

So the problem now is here, when I try to log off from this account (2) I was unable to go back to my original account!! The account I was using before I made the limited account and before I even made 2. I want to go back to the other account because it has all my programs, desktop, favorites and other things. How do I go back to my original account while still having another account as limited?
    (I don't need the other account, the one I called 2)
    This is on XP pro btw

Thanks for your time.

2. phatfred

phatfred

Log in with account 2 (the other administrator). Right click My Computer and select Manage. Expand System Tools and then expand Local Users and Groups. Select Users. Is your original Account still listed?

If it is then right click it and select Properties. Make sure the account isn't disabled.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you rebooted between these changes?

4. kyin01

kyin01 Thread Starter

5. Dyonas

Dyonas

I might be wrong but I think the administrator (the built-in one you're looking for) isn't show on the login options if you have other accounts on the computer. Are you using fast user switching? If you're not sure where that is, "Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on or off" should show you. That's assuming you're in Classic view. I'm fairly certain if you disable it and use the classic login screen you can type "Administrator" and your password to gain access to the account.

6. kyin01

kyin01 Thread Starter

Ah the 'use the welcome screen'

did the trick.

I am now logged back on as administrator

But now when I go to user accounts I can't delete the extra account I made (and if I try to create yet another account, the limited is grayed off again). How can I fix these?

Also
    why did it suddenly kick me off my original account when I made a new account?

7. Dyonas

Dyonas

The administrator account is built-in and isn't made by yourself, the first account you create is then labelled as an administrator account and (if you're using the welcome screen) the actual account labelled "Administrator" is hidden from view. If you then create another account (second you've actually made) you can select the "Limited account" option.

I'm not sure why it kicked you off the original account (built-in administrator account?) when you made a new account but the above should clear up any misunderstandings. If not, post back. Sorry I didn't notice this reply sooner.

8. kyin01

kyin01 Thread Starter

Yep everything is clear now, Thanks! I guess the administrator was hidden since I am using the welcome screen. And ever since I made a new account i dont know why windows made that my default.

Is there a way to use the administrator with the welcome screen?

9. Dyonas

Dyonas

If you're using the welcome screen I don't think you can make the built-in administrator account show which is probably why the first account you create must be an administrator one. Why do you want / need it to show if you have an administrator account created separately?

10. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I think MS kind of goofed with this. The idea was to keep the Administrator account "Hidden" so you could have Limited accounts on the Welcome screen and the "Regular" users wouldn't know about the Administrator account. But, you have to create a 2nd Computer Administrator account which will appear on the Welcome screen before you can create the limited accounts. Defeats the purpose of the "Hidden" Administrator account as you will always have one Computer Administrator account that is visible.

For the Administrator account to be visible on the Welcome screen, it has to be the only Computer Administrator account.

You can access the Administrator account from the welcome screen by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice. This will bring up the Login box where you can type it in.

If you want your account to be on the welcome screen, you can create a new Computer Administrator account and copy the Administrator profile to the new account. You will also have to have a temporary 3rd Computer Administrator account to do the copying with.

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile
    Note: You must sign in at least once to the New_Username account before you can copy the old profile, as the account folder is not created until it is signed into.
    After copying the files, click on the New_Username folder, then click on the folder named Old_Username's Documents. Double click the Desktop.ini file, and change the line Owner=Old_Username to Owner=New_Username
    Note that you will have to redo any customizations, i.e. wallpaper, colors, Folder Options, etc.
    If you want to preserve your customizations, copy the three ntuser.* files that the article says NOT to copy. To be able to copy these three files, you must reboot before signing into the 3rd account to copy files.

If you want to delete the extra Computer Administrator account and have just the original Administrator account and the Limited User account, you can. Whenever you create a new Computer Administrator account though, the Administrator account will disappear from the Welcome screen again.

To delete the extra Computer Administrator account:
    Start | Run -> type lusrmgr.msc and enter
    Click User on the left side, then right click the account you want to delete on the right side
    and click delete. You will have to manually delete the profile folder under Documents and Settings. (reboot to delete the ntuser.* files)

HTH

Jerry

11. kyin01

kyin01 Thread Starter

Great fix! Thanks for your help!!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/671168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice