1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My very moody laptop

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Wet, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wet

Wet Thread Starter

Sony Vaio NS VGN-NS25G
    Window Vista Home Premium
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz
    2.00 GB RAM
    Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

...that's my laptop. We've been together for 3+ years now. And her personality?...
    - currently refuse to play this new movie DVD that I bought yesterday, the disc can't be detected
    - the DVD is not 'bad' or corrupted in any way since it plays normally in another computer
    - I've tried playing another DVD that I bought from the same store on my laptop, it worked
    - I have several other DVD's too from different stores, mostly of them, she plays(detected); some of them, she doesn't(can't be detected); and sometimes a certain of them, she plays today, and the next day she's not....moody enough?

I've tried many ways to cheer her up, and obviously all of my efforts were utter failures. I've tried :
    - Playing in Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player, Media Player Classic
    - Deleting Upper and Lower Limits, reboot
    - Uninstalled drivers, reboot, reinstalled
    - Microsoft FixIt, reboot
    - Update drivers, scanned for hardware changes, reboot
    - Playing in Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player, Media Player Classic, again

And, it's just me, but I was thinking if the problem was because of the type of discs inserted? Cause I noticed that when she's starting to get 'moody', the disc inserted was DVD9. I know nothing about DVD9 except that it's a dual layer. Her drive is DVD+RW/DL/RAM Drive(according to the stickers on her). Is it because her driver can't play DVD9? If yes, what can I do so that she can play them?
    Appreciate all the help that I can get, thank you.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Its either because its a dual layer type dvd that its just not recognizing or the cd/dvd drive has had it and the lasers in it have gone bad.im sure someone else will be by with more suggestions.

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!