1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My webpages are turning German

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by NicolaJane, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NicolaJane

NicolaJane Thread Starter

This may sound silly, I am a fairly amatuer internet user but I always thought I knew how it operated. Over the past two weeks, when I enter a webpage and it goes to it, the text is in different languages, somtimes french, sometimes german etc but not english. I have checked all of my settings and they are all fine and nothing denotes this german. Pages that seem to be doing this are www.hotmail.com
    www.emailcash.com.au
    www.google.com.au..
    So do i have a virus on my computer or am I doing something wrong to be making this happen? I am using Win 98 and IE6.. also does anybody know the dialup companys GBX and GBN?? they have turned up in my dialup box and I dont know what they are
    Thanks for any help

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Scan for virus, Trojan or variant on-line at http://housecall.trendmicro.com and ensure you have a firewall installed and running, if not currently, like free Sygate Personal Firewall from http://download.com, type, sygate, in the Search box and press Enter. You must be on-line for the install of Sygate. Start the install by double-clicking the download icon.

Your anti-virus should be updated weekly and you should do full scans bi-monthly. The rule when anti-virus finds a bad file? "When in doubt, delete."

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Check your available resources by right-clicking My Computer; clicking Properties; Click the Performance tab. Resources available are displayed as percent there at top. Check it when you get done running the System Configuration Utility mentioned below.

Click the Start button; Run; type 'msconfig', without the quotation marks, in the Run box and click OK; Then click the Startup tab; Uncheck anything you don't need running in the background. For reference on what's not needed running in the background in the System Configuration Utility, view this website first and print out the list:

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Running_items.htm

It's important that you print out the above mentioned list. The site provides a printer friendly link.

In the System Configuration Utility (SCU), you can uncheck programs you suspect one at a time and restart your computer. If something doesn't work right, you can always go back into the SCU and re-check it and restart your computer via the Start button. The changes are completely reversible by re-checking an item in SCU or by selecting Normal Startup under the General tab in the SCU and all the programs listed run when Windows starts as it was before you started.

5. NicolaJane

thanks for this, also i was wondering if there was anything we can do to speed the computer back up. We bought it two years ago with all top of the range software and now it takes like ten minutes to boot up.. is there something we can do to get it back to its original speed.

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

The above post regarding running the SCU will increase your computer efficiancy with regard to the Startup quickness.

Increasing the RAM amount can help a lot. How much RAM is in your system?

Can you please define 'Dial-up box' you refer to in your first post? In Dial-Up Networking (DUN) Contol Panel - (Open My Computer; Open DUN) there should only be icons for Make New Connection and the Dial-Up service you use there. Right-click delete any other icons you see.

Boot into Safe Mode - (tap F8 twice per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted);

Right click My Computer; Point to Properties; Click the Device Manager (DM) tab; Click the plus sign beside CDROM; Highlight each device inside CDROM, each in turn, and click the Add/Remove button until no main CDROM entry is present.

Repeat with each device below that, Display Adapters etc. (see exceptions below), removing all duplicate entries inside a main heading. If duplicates are present, remove all those Duplicate Entries Only, inside a main heading.

Do Not bother Hard Disk Controllers, System Devices, and USB controllers.

Restart via the Start button and Windows will redetect, refresh and only replace those devices needed. There is no use for 2 keyboards, CDROM etc. as those duplicates cause some of the errors you describe.

Also, in DM, do you see any yellow exclamation points or question marks?

7. NicolaJane

it says i have 128 mb ram under properties in my computer...however on startup it says i have 256???

i didnt see any ? or ! but i wasnt sure to delete devices under cd rom as the only two that was there was lg cdrw and a dvd driver... was it those to be deleted??

8. walkeriam

walkeriam

To get back to your original problem, have you tried going to Control Panel and clicking on Regional Settings and selecting English [Australia] on the Regional Settings Tab.

The HouseCalls on-line scan is a must.

9. Styxx

Styxx Banned

If the amount of RAM amount is being incorrectly reported in two different areas (indications of a major problem that needs correcting), it can be caused by improperly seated RAM chips (sticks) one of the RAM chips having gone bad or the wrong type of chip being installed. Unplugging everything off the back and front of your computer, removing the computer case (properly ground yourself before touching any internal components, i.e., hold your feet still and touch the bare metal of the computer frame) carefully make sure the RAM chiips are all the way down in their slots. If one was added earlier, you might try carefully removing that one, plugging back in your computer and determining the bad chip in that way hrough the "power of elimination."

Good luck.

10. Cédric

Cédric

Das ist probably eine gross problem mit a virus ;)

11. NicolaJane

lol, there is only 128m of ram... i made a mistake and was looking at something completely different.. I told you i was an amatuer.. so far the computer looks a lot faster than it was before and i am going to preform a defrag tonight to see if that makes it better and also will defrag more often..!!!
    I had a look at system resources.. after getting rid of unneccesary startup progs I had 88% but it has now gone down to 68%.,. is this ok???

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice