1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My wife's desktop won't come on after storm last night

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lynx1021, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

Last night we had a bad storm come through about 11:30 PM and the power went off and on about 5 times before it went off completely . Came back on at 3:30AM.
    This morning before going to work I tried to turn on the front computer (gigabyte GA-P43T-ES3G) on and it wouldn’t come on. Tried unplugging and bleed power off and tried again, nothing. It was on a APC UPS 550VA and I had it set for 1min run then S/D. It has a CX750M Power supply my brother got me a couple of years ago. Hoping it is just the power supply. I think I have an old RaidMax 600 PSU that I can use to troubleshoot to see if its the PSU or not. Any other things to check?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Most psu have a fuse inside I think and it might have blown.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The pw supply would be where I would start troubleshooting. You do not have to fully install the test unit. Simply connect atx, aux, and video pw [if used] Hit the ON button and see if the motherboard will POST.

4. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

OK, thanks, I seem to remember seeing a glass fuse in a power supply when I stole the fan out of an old one. I have heard members here say the corsair CX750M is just a basic model anyway. Yes I was planning to disconnect the CX and put the RaidMax next to it and temporarily hook it up to test. I have my spare computer (GA-P45T-ES3G MB) with a Thermaltake PSU only a year old that I could rob until I get a new one. I thought about moving the hard drive from the GA-P43T-ES3G MB to the GA-P45T-ES3G MB because the they are almost identical but the chipset driver might be different , P43 VS P45. There needs to be a "sticky" here on recommended PSU's.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The CX series is fine for what it is designed for; a basic build. In fact I use one in my home theater system. The CX series is not fine for a gaming/overclocking system.

6. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

Good news, "IT'S ALIVE",
    I went to unplug the 24 pin connector an it felt a little wonky so I rocked it an pushed it back down and Tried to power up again and HOORAY! everything came back on. Strange it would happen with the outage, also when it came back on it was at the login screen (no password) clicked on it and went back to where it was like the ups put it in hibernation. Made a few checks and noticed my L drive was missing, Had four drives in it since it was my computer at one time. Thinking about unhooking the extra ones as my wife really doesn’t need them and they don’t need to be running all the time. When I can get on it I have to figure out which one is not working.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice