1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My WiFi Is Painstakingly Slow I Need Help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DidntMoveMEOneMillimeter, Oct 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DidntMoveMEOneMillimeter

DidntMoveMEOneMillimeter Thread Starter

So my wifi for my house is... to put it bluntly, painfully slow. I am getting 3 Mbs a second download and .93 upload! I have tried messing around with settings in every way I can think of but I'm just not tech savvy enough to really get past changing the channel and/ or trying to change it from 20mhz to 40 since we have a lot of devices on the router (10+)

I was hoping someone here might have some kind of idea on what I can do to improve this or if it's simply that my ISP is crap (which might just be the case...) So any advice would be much appreciated... If you need any additional info LMK

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What download/upload speeds are you supposed to be getting?

What speeds do you get with a computer connected by ethernet to the modem?

Or, if you have a modem/router combo what speeds do you get with a computer connected to it by ethernet and no other devices connected (neither by ethernet nor Wi-Fi)?

What speeds do you get with only one device connected to the wireless network (and none by ethernet)?

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I suspect that since you have 10+ devices, that would be the case. It will all depend on what you have running on those devices too.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    More likely a hardware or signal issue. What router is being used?

5. DidntMoveMEOneMillimeter

okay so we have a router/modem combo (the one that was provided by out ISP) and when i connect my ethernet cord directly from my computer to the router I get a pretty solid 12 Mbs a second. Without the cord it goes from 3 (or lower) to 14. (Typically staying closer to 3)

I haven't had the chance to try it with only one device connected so I couldn't say how it performs in that situation. Also, I do believe we're supposed to be getting something like 25 Mbs a second since we have broadband but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Okay so I took your advice and went and disconnected all devices through router settings and after 5 minutes did a internet speed test with my computer connected with an ethernet cable and it was getting like 5 Mbs a second (it's currently 7:30am EST and that could have something to do with it to but point is I disconnected all other devices and not much changed.)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  6. DidntMoveMEOneMillimeter

Just the Modem/Router combo that was supplied by our ISP

7. DidntMoveMEOneMillimeter

I mean we don't have 10 devices connected all at once just a total of like 12 devices have been connected to it at one point or another when i check. It typically has like 4 or 5 phones and a couple gaming consoles. The phones might run some games and consoles run some video streaming/ online gaming. I can see how that could slow us down but 3Mbs seems way too slow even for that amount of traffic.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You may be getting wireless interference (e.g., from another wireless network) or the signal may be weak. In Windows I use the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector to check for these conditions. Often that utility is difficult or impossible to get. The inSSIDer wireless tool is also good, but harder to understand. WiFi Analyzer on Android phones is also supposed to be good for this.

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    What speed are you paying for?
    I'm on the lowest tier for Comcast/Xfinity and get about 45Mbps. I'd get higher if I used a newer router. But this works for us.

If all you get is 5Mbps with one device wired and you game on 4 phones and a gaming console some on wifi, no one will get decent speeds.

If the speed is always this low with only 1 device then you might have a line problem (line coming into the house or line inside the house) or a problem with the modem/router.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I was replying to that 12 Mbps ethernet but 3 Mbps wireless in my post # 8. Two paragraphs later you reported 5 Mbps ethernet. If the latter is more normal then I agree with Liz's post and withdraw my comments on the Wi-Fi.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    How much speed are you paying for, and who is your provider?

For troubleshooting, remove the power, and coaxial cable from the modem. If there are lights still on, remove the battery. Give it about a few minutes then reconnect the coaxial cable and then battery (if present) and then power cable. See if that helps.

If it doesn't and you are meant to get more than 15Mbps speed from your provider, then you may have signal issues from the ISP.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice