1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my Windows 2000 takes ages to reach login screen !!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by help_meee, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. help_meee

help_meee Thread Starter

I've been happy with my windows 2000 since the 126th\last re-installation , now i got this freakin' seems-impossible-to-solve problem and i don't want to re-install it again :( .

I tried to install Linux on another partition untill i reached a part in linux installation where it said "formatting" so i freaked out and shut down the computer. Then when i rebooted to go into windows , it took (and still takes) like 10 minutes just to reach the login box !!!! it takes like 5 minutes in the part where it shows windows logo with a loading bar below and then some other 5+ minutes untill the login box pops up.

My previous attempts to solve the problem :
    1- drive C: defragment.
    2- repairing windows through re-installing (like upgrading)
    3- scanned for virus and spyware although it all happened after trying to install linux..

*EDIT*
    i just tried "CHKDSK /F" and booting in safe mode and in both cases it still takes long.

but the problem still exist !!!! im almost tearing my hair out !! i can't even find a reason for it !!! restarting is like a nightmare for me currently so i keep my computer on :(

PLEASE HELP ME GUYS !!!! :(

2. natcom

natcom

ok do this get your windows 2000 cd ready and go into the recovery console how to do so here http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=229716 when you there do this type CHKDSK /R that will take some time after that do BOOTCFG /REBUILD enter

3. natcom

natcom

if that did not help we can try some more things im sure we get this fix soon :)

4. help_meee

help_meee Thread Starter

ok ill try to do this sometime later today then get back to you natcom. Thanks in advance :)

5. help_meee

help_meee Thread Starter

ok seems like i can't get to that recovery console cuz :
    1- i don't have windows 2000 CD.
    2- the other method (winnt32.exe /cmdcons) seems like it won't work.

so... i've read about the BOOTCFG /REBUILD command , some site said :
    "/rebuild—Same as /add except /rebuild automatically recreates boot.ini with all found installations if the user confirms. "

This is how my boot.ini file looks like (wich seems typical compared to examples on the net) :
    Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    shall i edit it in anyway to make the boot faster or is it alright??

and if you have more ideas PLEASE let me know about them :)

6. natcom

natcom

Yes I have more ideas log into safe mode check how long it take to login into safe mode
    After you in safe mode check on computer management event viewer check for error on the system tab and post then here also check on device manager for errors on any devices if you find any device with error uninstall it

7. help_meee

help_meee Thread Starter

- i think it got worst now. It won't boot into safe mode. The loading bar goes to full then stops there and the HDD won't flash anymore.

- No errors under device manager.

- Loads of errors in event viewer. Here is a screen shot :
    [​IMG]

and here is the text file wich has the report :Report

hope this leads to something :(

if you need more detail about anything just tell me and ill show it right away but help :(

8. zmaster

zmaster

this is outta my league, but here is an interesting link which might prove to be helpful eventID

9. natcom

natcom

i cant make up the report list but can you show me the event id and source of the error about Service Control Manager

10. help_meee

help_meee Thread Starter

Event ID : 7023 . here is a screen shot with more details :
    [​IMG]

i've also found another error that occurred couple of days ago that might be helpful to solve this . Event ID : 17
    [​IMG]

getting over this starting to seem almost impossible :(

11. natcom

natcom

Quite frankly without the Windows 2000 Cd this is going to be kinda hard to fix according to error message you got installing service pack 4 can fix your problem if you already have SP4 reinstalled normally in this situation if you had the Windows cd
    doing a repair install will most likely fix your problem I am going to try to duplicate your problem on my Windows 2000 virtual machine I will get back to you hopefully with some useful information

12. help_meee

help_meee Thread Starter

i already installed SP4 and a repair install too when i had the CD. The problem still exist though :(

i really appreciate your help natcom :)

13. natcom

natcom

do you still need my help? if so im free today from work so will sure get this fix today

14. natcom

natcom

did you found the windows 2000 cd ?

15. Rockn

Rockn

Since it seems that RAS is having a problem on your PC you might just want to disable this service to keep it from running. Look under all sections of your event log to see if there are any indications as to what is causing your problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice