1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Windows 7 ultimate is freezing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Hectag, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hectag

Hectag Thread Starter

My computer keeps freezing a lot lately. I once took it to be upgraded to windows 7 ultimate. Originally it was a Windows vista Home Premium. After the upgrade everything was fine for about a month or two. Then while i was playing Combat Arms, I got a Blue Screen. This has been going on for a while. Sometimes when i start it, it asks me if i want to Launch Startup Repair. I clicked it and it said it was loading files then the computer just restarts. Sometimes while the windows logo is coming up it freezes and have to press the power button. Then while it is logging me in to my computer it may also freeze. If it doesn't i start the internet and start playing Combat Arms. Then it usually freezes during the loading menu. Sometimes the screen just stays the same and i cant control it with the keyboard or the mouse. All I can do is turn it off and hope it doesn't happen again. Now more frequently it happens. I thought it was the game so I deleted it and stopped playing it. But the freezings of my computer have not gone down. I have searched for viruses and it says it has not found any. I really want to start playing Combat Arms again, so if anyone gots any advice please don't hesitate to tell me. And my computer, before it had the upgrade, had 6 RAM sticks and they took out 3 RAM sticks. Now someone please help me.

2. Window

Window

Delete all the files in the below locations:
    c:\windows\temp
    %temp%
    The files are temp files.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are the one who got taken. :(

Since with some problems like this it is so difficult to determine whether it is a software or hardware problem I think I'd start with a format and fresh install of Windows.

Why did they remove half your computer's memory?

4. Hectag

Hectag Thread Starter

The guy said that he removed 3 of the RAM sticks because the sticks had been burnt or something like that.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Did he give them to you so that you could see for yourself and so that you know he did not just reuse or sell them?

6. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

I was once told here at TSG that RAM "sticks" should be installed in pairs. Having an odd # does not provide the added RAM you would expect, so I was told.

7. Hectag

Hectag Thread Starter

He did show them to me but it wouldn't work when put inside the computer.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Earlier I suggested a Windows reinstall to make sure the problem is not software, but given the problems with 1/2 your memory chips maybe you should start by testing the remaining ones. Many people advise to test one at a time. Memtest86+ is a popular test.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/965336