1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My windows crashes.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by skaterguy45, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skaterguy45

skaterguy45 Thread Starter

I have two computers in my room, so luckily its not a huge deal.

But, my old computer, is a Gateway from like 1998 or so. It origionally had Windows 98, I installed Windows XP Professional over it(not a complete reinstallation). And it was working fine for a while, but one day I open 'My Documents', 'Internet Explorer', and 'My computer'. Each time I opened them, they would simply close, and the start menu bar would disapear then reapear for a second and would would go back to the way it was. I tried to reinstall Windows XP but I don't know what happened but it won't work. Something was messed up with my HD it said. So, I somewhat found ways around this by using Notepad and clicking file> open, and then set that browser to view 'All Files'. This helped me get around my computer. Then, I burned the installer for Firefox to a cd, and installed it. Now, I can use Firefox, and can somewhat get around my computer.

I want to know if there is a fix or something for this. I mean everytime I open and folder it closes. I tried ctrl+alt+delete and tried to end all unneccasary processes. I tried looking over the start up in my MSCONFIG list, and I am stumped. I even tried to install Norton, but it says it cannot find NAV.msi which IS on the CD, and it claims it is the incorrect file. But, then I tried NAV on another computer, and it worked fine.

Anyways... anyone have an suggestions? I might just buy a new HD if I have to, but for now, I want to try to find something... thanks

2. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

3. skaterguy45

skaterguy45 Thread Starter

I was trying to install Norton Anti-Virus but it would not install. I then tried Kaspersky anti-virus, and it detected and deleted 11 viruses. This fixed my problem. Thanks for trying, but I figured it out on my own...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322388

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice