1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my windows is sick

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tweetdaisee, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tweetdaisee

tweetdaisee Thread Starter

Hello

i'm new here and i have a question. let me know if i need to provide more information in order to get some help.

when i open my task manager, it is full of approximately 55 processes running in the back ground. For instance, right how all i have running (by my choice) is explorer and messanger. i have been receiving the message that my computer is running low on virtual memory. i've even had it where i can't run 2 of my design programs at one time due to space issues (i use to be able to). i can provide a list of the items in my task manager but don't want to waste space if nobody can help me. also i have noticed my processer speed has slowed down considerably.

here is my system info: hard drive max 40gb, 22.6 free space aval, 1.5ghz, 256 mb ram. i think that is it.

let me know if you can help me. thanks for your hlep and consideration.

2. physician

physician

You may be able to go into your startup file and turn some of those things off - I run a lot of programs and have only some approx 30 apps running...doc

3. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

First, download, install, and run AdAware and SpyBot. These will eliminate many of the spyware progs that may be running.

Reboot. run msconfig, goto the startup tab. Post a list of the Name column here. We will be able to help you eliminate unnessecary startup items.

If you are sill bogged down then, its time for HJT.

Oh, and if you are running XP, 256mb is not really enough ram. XP takes up almost that much ram just doing nothing... (unless you trim it down a bit)

4. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Is the actuall speed of the processor slower? In the system properties (right click on mycomputer, click properties) does it say your processor is running at a slower speed? If so, might have to play with the bios...
    Or do you just mean that the whole computer seems to run slower overall?

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You can increase your virtual memory but as other posters have pointed out, your RAM really needs at least doubling.

Go Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management and on the lft menu, right click Computer Management (Local) and scroll down to Properties. In the Advanced tab, click on the first Settings button and adjust the size of your paging file.

6. bobol

bobol

ditto the other 2 member's prompts to get more ram....
    When it comes to art/photo editing programs- you need at least 512 ram... and you mention running 2 such programs at the same time!! So, definately need some ram additions. 55 processes running is quite alot too. Get hijack this tool [link below], then you'll be advised what should be altered on your computer from there
    here's how to post a hijack this log;

It’s very important that you save the log to its own permanent folder on your hard drive, such as program files or My Documents/hjt,or you may loose the ability to undo any changes you make (not temporary files or the desktop- or you may loose the ability to undo any changes you make) so that it can create proper back-ups and be able to restore them if necessary.

Close all open windows and open Hijack This. Click “Scan”. When the scan is finished (it only takes a second), the scan button will change to “Save Log”. Click on “Save Log” and then save it to NotePad. Click on “Edit” – “Select all” – “copy” and then “paste” into the thread.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET;- Await further analysis here.

here's a startup tool;
    http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2086-10242244.html
    Go here to learn about your startup 'stuff'
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/browse.php?l=19&start=375&end=400

we assume you're using XP?......

7. tweetdaisee

tweetdaisee Thread Starter

thank you everyone for your feedback. yes i'm running xp and i downloaded an adware and spyware program, however it didn't take away any of the processes that are running. i also downloaded the mechanic fixer ro something like that. i'm still so confused. that website about the "stuff" do i look for the files that are listed under my task manager? and if i find it delete it? once again, thanks for all your help!

8. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Install and run the Hijack This program described in the above posts. Save the log and post it here (also described in above posts). People here will be able to read that log and tell you exactly what you need to do to fix your computer...

...and get more ram... :)

9. rude

rude

Just wander around here:
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm
    There are lots of services you can disable to make your computer run faster and better,and Blackviper is as good a reference as you will find anywhere.
    Also,you should get rid of as much as you can from msconfig,personally I only allow my antivirus and firewall in there.I don't find it all that difficult to start programs when I need them and shut them off when I'm done with them.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice